Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crab Orchard 2-26-06

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crab Orchard 2-26-06

Good day to fish today. No wind and easy to get over the crappie. I caught 60 and kept 20 for dinner. I caught most of them on Cottenmouth jigs...i have attached a pic of the color and the fish. I hope the wind is done for awhile. It sure makes it easier to catch fish.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Crappie Xtreme is offline Moderator Illinois Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Crappoop, I kept 23 good keepers two days ago and 24 today on Rend lake. Yesterday I did not fish was to tired from work and had to take my son to a ball game. But it was windy anyway. Using a jig in about 15 to 20 feet of water on the breaks or in some ares with brush in about 13 feet of water.
    IL board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Default crab orchard

hi, i fish crab orchard some in spring but never able to seem to find the crappie am i doing something wrong..like yesterday was on the lake all day didnt catch one crappie??help anyone??? thanks, Rodger
    Rodger, So.Ill.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi carpoop, might i ask if your fishing vertical jigging to catch all these crappie..are you fishing deep on sets?? i cant seem to locate any crappie at crab..any advice greatly appreciated here..thanks ,
    rodger
    Rodger, So.Ill.

Post Thanks / Like

This time of year the easiest way is to verticle jig over wood 8-11 feet of water. You can use the old slip cork and minnow too but when its cold you always have a wet hand from putting on the minnow....brrrr. You'll do better using your graph at crab...there isnt any visible cover that is deep outside of the bridge supports. Just drive around and look at your graph and you will come across places to fish. Drop a marker on it and fish for 5 minutes and move on if no activity. If they are on down there they will bite. I've been fishing Crab for 15 years yet caught all of my fish Sunday on 2 piles of stuff I have never fished by idling around and locating it. I enjoy searching around for new places anyway.

I do not fish east of the wolf creek bridge and usually only fish in Cambria and Long neck when they are spawning. One of the more popular places is the drop off at snake island straight out from the Greenbriar ramp cove. Once you get the hang of it and know what to look for on the graph you will become a hero catching crappie in this lake. Its loaded with them.

Also, if your are really struggling and need to avoid a shutout go to the concrete supports around the 3 bridges. There are always fish around these areas from 5 to 8 feet but normally the bridge fish are smaller. I think because they are more pressured there by everyone, including bank fisherman. The fish are always there though.
    Last edited by CarpPoop; 03-01-2006 at 04:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of water temp. did you have ?? I stopped Sunday @ Rend lake
    just to look around --- 37 degree's @ the Sesser boat ramp area.

Z21
    How's it going : One foot in the grave, one foot on a banana peel, twenty people pushing !!!

Post Thanks / Like

To be honest, I didnt look to see what it was.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks carpoop, i think this will help and yes i know where the drop off is off greenbriar ramp, i fish it alot in summer for catfish, didnt know about catching crappie there, but will give it a shot. thanks for all the info and help..good fishing to you
    Rodger, So.Ill.