Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cotton seed

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cotton seed

I've heard that cotton seed will attract minnows and larger fish to condos and brushpiles. Need some info on what to do. I am a cotton farmer and seed is no problem for me. How much do I need to put in a spot? How long will it last? What is it that draws the fish? The oil? Any thing else that can be added will be appreciated. Thanks. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard the same about bales of alfalfa. Seems to start a mini food chain.

Post Thanks / Like

guys down hear in south louisiana use cotton seed blocks and sink them on their trash piles. it works

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know the process that makes it work but am pretty sure it attracts
    bait fish. I used to sink a double burlap sack with 20-25 lbs of cottonseed meal with my brush or add it to a pile when it seemed the bite had slowed.
    I can say for a 100% fact that it does work. I put too much of it out too many times and it made such a radical difference it couldn't be coincidence.
    Jeff
    Shoer,
    12th Degree Ninja

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by horseshoer
    I don't know the process that makes it work but am pretty sure it attracts
    bait fish. I used to sink a double burlap sack with 20-25 lbs of cottonseed meal with my brush or add it to a pile when it seemed the bite had slowed.
    I can say for a 100% fact that it does work. I put too much of it out too many times and it made such a radical difference it couldn't be coincidence.
    Jeff

Horseshoer I will take that as a vote of confidence for the product. How or where does one get cotton seed? And what type areas is it placed, and in what application?

Post Thanks / Like

When I was a kid my grandpaw used to take a rag full and tie it into the top of a fish trap and it would bring in all kinds of fish so I am sure it would work somewhat for baiting a whole

Post Thanks / Like

If you noticed Horseshoer,Said Cottonseed MEAL,not just cottonseed's.The meal is what I use to get. could get it at feed supply houses,Most of the time it came in cakes,& you broke off what you need.We used it aloan with table scrapes placed in a tow sack To bait & draw in suckers(fish you know hehe).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gooch
    Horseshoer I will take that as a vote of confidence for the product. How or where does one get cotton seed? And what type areas is it placed, and in what application?
    Cottonseed meal is most readily available at either a feed store or a nursery,
    as it is used as a feed supplement and also as a fertilizer.
    Jeff
    Shoer,
    12th Degree Ninja

barrelslime is offline Moderator White Bass/Striper/Hybrid Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

We dont have sotton seed here in IL but we use a burlap sack of corn and it probly does the same thing. I know it really stinks after a while.
    Personal Best 17 1/2"
    " Let us endeavor so to live, that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like

Would dry dog food serve as a substitute for cottonseed meal?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast