Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cleaning my livewell

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default cleaning my livewell

anyone have any suggestions about cleaning my live well. It is an old boat and the livewell is quite dirty. I noticed one fish dying on me last weekend that I caught early. Dont know if it was because of my dirty livewell, but I don't need this to happen to me in the CUSA tournament this weekend. I also don't want the fish to die because I used some kind of chemical that killed them. Any suggestions as to how and what?

I have a 1989 stratos 201 pro
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

Hey David, BPS has some bilge cleaner thats works in livewells too...izzy

Post Thanks / Like

I always put a gallon of vinegar in mine. Then fill with water. Let he pump run for a while. Then flush.
    Let dry and go fishing works great and sure takes care of the smell and bad live well.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

The vinegar idea sounds good. Think I'll try it this week. Cheaper than the other cleaners that you can buy I'm sure.

Post Thanks / Like

I would think some Chlorox would do it too! I always put RV antifreeze in my livewell and let it recirculate until it is through my pumps. One spring we started fishing and caught a nice one so in the live well he went. Then I reached over and started the autocycle on the livewell. Alittle later we got another. I opened the lid and thats when I noticed the pink water.OOP's ! Forgot to flush it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Baking soda does a good job on the cleaning. Also does away with any odor. Can't beat the price either, midsize box is what I use, 37 cents at wally world.
    Everyone has a secret talent they didn't know about until tequila.

Post Thanks / Like

The best stuff that I have found is Simple Green.

Fish Detective
    "May Your Fishing Dreams Come True"

Fish Detective

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks fellas. I think Vinegar, baking soda, and simple green all sounds good.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

Another tip is to leave the well full of water and drive to the lake with a few tennis balls in it. The sloshing and banging of the tennis balls and water scrubs the inside. I would not use bleach. It can deteriorate rubber and soft plastics, so you might lose hoses and seals

Post Thanks / Like

Fill livewell with water and a little detergent. Drive to the lake and drain it out when you get there. Flush with lake water and you should be good to go.

On the return trip, put lake water and detergent in the bilge and drain out when you get home---it takes all the oily crud out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast