Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trailer bunks?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trailer bunks?

Is it best to use the green wood like they use on decks or something different? My bunks are 8ft 6in. i was thinking about having a lumber yard cut me some so that they are straight. Someone posted a while back about plastic 2x4s but I never heard anymore about it if they worked or not. Its an aluminum BassTracker no rivets. Any suggestions?

Thanks wilbur

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA

Post Thanks / Like

Mine are covered by carpet, and I don't think that it really matters. The "green wood", or treated lumber, is made for weather...and it is covered from the weather with the carpet on it. Just my opinion. Mine do fine guiding my boat onto the trailer!

Post Thanks / Like

I can only tell you what I did 4 years ago when I replaced the bunks on my trailer. Went to Lowe's and bought pressure treated, had them cut to length there, went home, put the carpet on them from the old bunks with a staple gun and installed them on the trailer. Total time - under 2 hours from the time I dropped the boat at the local boat ramp until the time I got back and re-trailered the boat. Makes me nervous to leave the boat sitting in the water unattended but waddya gonna do. Some guy was eying it when I got back and even told me he was wondering where the owner was at. Still going strong with no problems 4 seasons later. Are there more permanent ways to do it? Sure... but I'm cheap and don't mind replacing them every 10 years.

Post Thanks / Like

HDPE is the best. Strong and slick, just make sure you buy it with UV protections and you will never need to replace them. Downside is they are about 2-3x more costly than wood.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Wilbur, get you some treated wood, cover with good bunk carpet and be done with it. HPDE is good stuff, but you'll have to worry about dumping your boat off at the ramp on accidcent. Besides, if treated, carpet covered bunk boards are good enought for Ranger, Triton, BassCat, Stratos, etc, etc, etc, it ought to be good enough for us.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe... View Post
    Wilbur, get you some treated wood, cover with good bunk carpet and be done with it. HPDE is good stuff, but you'll have to worry about dumping your boat off at the ramp on accidcent. Besides, if treated, carpet covered bunk boards are good enought for Ranger, Triton, BassCat, Stratos, etc, etc, etc, it ought to be good enough for us.

Wannabe...
    Ditto
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

I would just use treated lumber with carpet. The boards will last a long, long, time and the carpet will last quite a whild depending on the quality of the carpet.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think that plastic bunks will support the weight without bowing in places from constant pressure. Then the boat is supported in small areas and not the whole bunk. Just my opinion. Pressure treated comes in different grades. Some are made for above ground use, and others for ground contact, under(posts) or on the ground. The more heavily treated should be the best you can buy, and then put the slides on if you're inclined. They make unloading an aluminum boat a breeze. Pay attention to those warning of dumping the boat on the ramp. Happens in a flash. Saw a friend that had them on his duck boat trailer dump his on the ramp. Nothing was hurt, but could have been worse. Don't unhook til the boat will slide off into the water. Kinda fun to watch though.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skeetbum View Post
    I don't think that plastic bunks will support the weight without bowing in places from constant pressure. Then the boat is supported in small areas and not the whole bunk. Just my opinion. Pressure treated comes in different grades. Some are made for above ground use, and others for ground contact, under(posts) or on the ground. The more heavily treated should be the best you can buy, and then put the slides on if you're inclined. They make unloading an aluminum boat a breeze. Pay attention to those warning of dumping the boat on the ramp. Happens in a flash. Saw a friend that had them on his duck boat trailer dump his on the ramp. Nothing was hurt, but could have been worse. Don't unhook til the boat will slide off into the water. Kinda fun to watch though.
    I have had many enjoyable hours fishing next to a boat ramp watching people back down and unload boats. Only once did I have to kick a lady out of her truck and back it in for her. I couldn't stand the abuse she was getting from her husband in the boat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast