Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using Roadrunners As Crappie Locators

Post Thanks / Like

Default Using Roadrunners As Crappie Locators

How do you use Roadrunners for locating Crappie pre spawn? What are some of the different ways you can fish it? I just picked up a few packs with the Crappie Thunder tubes on them and have never used them before.

Post Thanks / Like

If your talking about casting them and searching its best to start with a 1/32 and let it slowly drop to bottom.The blade will slowly spin on the drop.Wait a sec before yo start your retr've back to the boat.They'll pick it up off bottom if there,if not try slow/fast,stop and drop,hop hop back to the boat.If no takers try again with different color jig head and bait color,again with the 1/32.If they are swallow stay with the 1/32,if they are deeper and biteing go to a 1/16 to get down there faster.The deeper and if biteing you can go to even heavier jig heads.I'll start with a black jig head,then olive green,orange,pink ect.ect..
    Sometimes when the crappie are lazy they want chase the 1/16 just to get a snack,they'll turn their nose up to it and wait for something slower to eat.When they feel like they can whip anything in the lake a 1/16,1/8 curly tail roadrunner cann't be beat in my book.Thats how I start my search with the roadrunner type lure,thats all that I will cast.Only use round heads on long poles.......

However sometimes I have found out lately that nothing works not even a roadrunner in it best dressed cloths.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If I know they are definitely in "pre-spawn" mode .... I'll slow troll them, usually over flats & along creek channels, or just outside of standing timber along the banks. If they're holding on cover, or in a transition period (closer to spawning) I will cast them .... over brushpiles, between standing timber, alongside downed trees, next to stumps, etc. I mostly use the 1/16oz marabou style ... and if I want it to stay higher in the water column (when casting), I'll hold the rod tip high. I do cast them, more than troll them, though. I've never used the Crappie Thunder version, but I do know they work. I have the RR heads, so I could put plastics on, if I wanted. I've just had such good results from the marabou style, that I've not gotten around to it. I do a little tweaking on the marabou RR's ... straight out of the package, I take & cut off 1/2 of the length of the marabou tail, measuring from the hook bend to the tip of the marabou. This has proven to do a few things that I find beneficial. It keeps the (longer) marabou from wrapping around the hook bend, keeps the "nippers" from yanking on the tail (short striking), & lessens the profile size of the bait (without lessening the weight).
    If you know the Crappie are in pre-spawn mode, and you know "where" they are (location, depth, etc) .... then you can use that info to decide on what type of presentation is needed to get the bait in their face.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Hey thanks guys, just the info I was looking for.

Post Thanks / Like

Small beetle spins might be worth trying too. I've had good luck with them. Cast, let in sink a couple feet, reel in a few turns just fast enough to spin the blade, and repeat. Vary colors and retrieves till they strike!
    "They bitin' up river on that topwater"

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Ditto on the beetles spins. Roadrunners work well but usually drop into the trash the way I fish. Trolling works well, just be sure they're tuned and not rolling over and over. I usually troll or hit spots that have held fish in the past, and begin as light as possible. I have had to go to 1/64 some days to generate a strike, the slow fall was the ticket. If they're finicky, they might not want the flash, then a jig head with a curl tail, or maybe a Bobby Garland will produce. Even during spawn and prespawn the high pressure systems will give you a fit. Just get creative.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

thx for the info,i've never had any results with road runners as of yet.i'll keep trying them but slow down my retrieves and drop em all the way day to the bottom first.

Post Thanks / Like

they all gave you good info now go out and apply it
    fishing from the couch in front of the tv doesnt count

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    If I know they are definitely in "pre-spawn" mode .... I'll slow troll them, usually over flats & along creek channels, or just outside of standing timber along the banks. If they're holding on cover, or in a transition period (closer to spawning) I will cast them .... over brushpiles, between standing timber, alongside downed trees, next to stumps, etc. I mostly use the 1/16oz marabou style ... and if I want it to stay higher in the water column (when casting), I'll hold the rod tip high. I do cast them, more than troll them, though. I've never used the Crappie Thunder version, but I do know they work. I have the RR heads, so I could put plastics on, if I wanted. I've just had such good results from the marabou style, that I've not gotten around to it. I do a little tweaking on the marabou RR's ... straight out of the package, I take & cut off 1/2 of the length of the marabou tail, measuring from the hook bend to the tip of the marabou. This has proven to do a few things that I find beneficial. It keeps the (longer) marabou from wrapping around the hook bend, keeps the "nippers" from yanking on the tail (short striking), & lessens the profile size of the bait (without lessening the weight).
    If you know the Crappie are in pre-spawn mode, and you know "where" they are (location, depth, etc) .... then you can use that info to decide on what type of presentation is needed to get the bait in their face.

... cp
    Good info as always Pappy, went to BP today and picked bought a bunch of RR, will give this technique a try real soon Thumbs Up
    Green River Lake

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I longline troll and always keep a couple RR heads (ponies) on a couple of lines. Some days theyre pretty hot and on other days the regular jigs out produce. All I'm saying is dont bank on the RR head being THE TICKET for locating crappie all the time.:rolleyes::o

Welcome to the boards.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast