Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Electric Fellet Knife

Post Thanks / Like

Default Electric Fellet Knife

I'm looking to retire my old Knife and get a new one I see the prices go from 25. to 125.
    what brand have you all had sucess with I'm afraid of the battery power ones that need recharging I would hate to be in middle of a batch of fish and it go dead on me. Any other info on this subject would be great.

Thank

Post Thanks / Like

Slabmaster I own both an American Angler and a Mr. Twister. I by far favor the American Angler knife over the Mr. Twister. The Mr. Twister's trigger, in my opinion, is to far forward on the knife. I'm not sure how many fish you clean but I normally clean quiet a few and it kills my fore arm and elbow applying the pressure to the blade to fillet the fish with the weight of the knife being toward the back portion of the knife. I'm not sure what the benefit of that would be but it's a weird feeling after you have cleaned a few. My American Angler does a number on those slabs and anything else i use to cut with it, lol.
    Shawn "Sac Pappy" Franks

Post Thanks / Like

thats great information I will start by maybe holding the knife in the store and get a feel for it thank you

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm still kinda new to the e. knife thing, and wasn't sure I'd get on board. Well the answer now is a resounding YES, but I still haven't killed my first one yet, and that is a surprise in itself. I bought an old Sunbeam kitchen type e. knife for a dollar at a yard sale 2 years ago( I looked for the sticker that said it came over on the Mayflower, I'm talking old) and it grumbles and isn't the sharpest but it still keeps cutting those rib bones like they were butter. Being frugal (cheap) like I am I'll hang on to it till it gives up and I drag out the new in the box one that I found at goodwill. I went big time and spent $3 on this one, and the blades are sharp. It came from wally and someone was so impressed with it they never opened the package before donating it. I'm interested in the outcome of this thread, never know when a fella might need to upgrade.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wolf .... I have both, too. My biggest con against the Mr Twister, is the coiled power cord. Not a big deal when using it at home, but when you use it at a fish cleaning station, on the lake, the power outlet may not be very close to your station. That means the Mr Twister's coiled cord is constantly pulling against you, if you have to stretch it out to reach your spot. This results in either the plug pulling out, or fatigue on your arm, and possibly even having the knife get pulled off the station (when you lay it down).
    My biggest con against the Amer. Angler, is the blade release button's position. It's on top, and just behind the lip on the front of the handle. RIGHT where I tend to put my thumb, when pushing the knife against the bigger rib bones.

My "home use" filet knife is a GE brand ... and it does as good a job as either of the other two. All three of them work well, as far as cleaning fish .... so, knowing that, and if I were in the market for a elec. filet knife ... I'd consider the blades (size & style) to be as important as any other feature. All of mine are "old" (decades old, in fact), so there may have been some changes that I'm not aware of.

... cp

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I went from a 12v. American Angler (that I finally wore out) to a 110v. American Angler. I'm happy with it for the price. I wasnt sure if you'd get a better knife by just spending more money or not so that's why I stayed with the American Angler. Not a good knife for cutting rib bones on bigger fishm (catfish, etc.) but a great little fillet knife for crappie. I buy a new set of blades about once a year (and I catch fish all year long).
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

litewirehooker is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I have both but perfer the American Angler.....For the Mr. Twister....I cut off the cord and replaced with a longer straight cord ....no more tangles.

lightwirehooker
    http://litewirehooks.com/
    [email protected]
    Every day you do not fish will be one day less you have to fish

Post Thanks / Like

Both will get the job done, I have had a bucket full of electric knives over the years and guess I liked them all compared to the old Knife! The main thing with me is having a good sharp set of blades means more than anything to me! I messed up and bought a bunch of piranha blades marked down a couple years ago and them things were horrible!
    An ungrateful man is like hog under a tree eating acorns, but never looking up to see where they come from!

Post Thanks / Like

I use a standard kitchen elec knife works great from salmon to crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the american and Mr. Twister and I prefer the twister. I agree the cord length is the biggest concern but easily fixed. I think for the money the Twister is my favorite.
    Fish like your hungry!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast