Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1 piece or 2 piece poles?

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1 piece or 2 piece poles?

Which do you prefer and why?
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Every rod I own over 6' is at least two-piece. They're just easier to transport.

Post Thanks / Like

i dont have many rods over 6' 6'' so i like to go with 1 peice for two simple reasons: that they dont get tangled, and i dont have to worry about the rod coming apart while im fishing.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I prefer one piece when length allows, for me up to 7'. The action of a 2 piece will have a flat spot where the ferrule is so I try to go with 1 piece. Long crappie poles come in up to 3 or 4 pieces, but mine are 12' or less so they're just 2. UL rods need to be 1 piece or the action is way different.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer 1 piece they just have a better feel to them for me.
    I only fish on days that start with T, like tuesday, thursday, today, and tomorrow.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't have a choice, as most rods over 7' seem to come in 2pc ... and I'm OK with that, since most of the rods I use are < 8ft. If the rod is designed & fitted correctly, and balanced with the proper reel size/weight, I haven't found 2pc rods to have any negative factors.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Most of the newer blanks today including 3 & 4 pc. travel rods have "slimfit" ferrules that are designed to flex through the ferrules for better action. I like 1pc. rods up to 8' for crappie. Surf rods in 1pc. can go up to 15'. A one piece rod will always fish better then multi piece rods, for shipping and transport most are 2pcs. or more. The old fly rods started out bamboo 1pc. then someone added a joint and the 2pc. was born.
    "Never Fry Bacon Naked"

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't matter to me. I have some that are 1 piece, and some that are two pieces. But, the two pieces do travel better in my jeep, and can be stored easier when I leave the boat due to my not leaving my stuff in the boat when I'm not with it. Those people with sticky fingers don't seem to have a preference either.

Post Thanks / Like

Prefer 2-piece because of the easier transport and easier to protect from breakage. I keep my better rods in tubes and even the 1-piece 5-footer I have I would prefer in 2-pieces just because its'a pain to keep a 5-foot tube in the boat. I don't see any difference in performance/feel from 1-piece to 2-piecers so that's not an issue fo me. Guess I'm just not that sensitive. I own both and a crappie suckin in the jig on my 2-piece graphite still feels like a bolt of lightning going through my arm so I really don't believe I'm missing any subtle hits.

Post Thanks / Like

I have both but prefer 1 piece. For casting, it has better feel, is more sensitive, stronger and less likely to break. Two piece are generally cheaper, easier to transport in smaller spaces. It is not as strong where rods are joined together and irritating to have to line up eyes when the top rotates after several casts.

For fun fishing with kids they can't be beat because they are going to take a beating but you're not hurt when you lose one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast