Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Power Trolling question(s)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Power Trolling question(s)

I am very new to this idea and just getting started with power trolling(16ft poles/heavy wgts 5oz). My main question is what structures are best to fish. I end up fishing lakes I have never been to and there may not be "true flats"? Right now my ideas would be to travel up creeks and setup and s-pattern creek channels out to the main lake points? Upper ends of lakes with shallower flats 10-15ft? Any help would be great! Thanks! Brad
    Last edited by BradbTXfishin; 02-14-2011 at 09:24 PM.

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I would be looking for suspended fish over channels while using that amount of weight. You are trying to cover a lot of water at a faster speed. I would follow the channel edges watching your DF and adjust the depth to where you are seeing fish or a little below bait. Crappie will suspend near structure and channel edges are structure. Start out with bait at different depths, 4' to 14' deep and see where the crappie bite is and adjust all your rods to that depth. Try to work one edge of the channel into the coves or creeks and work the other edge of the channel coming out. Be sure to work the main channels where the creek channels meet. Channels are a crappie's highways.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Stump Hunter! Our main objective is to alot of water fast. Wind sucks and many times we have been limited certain areas! Do yall favor coves or larger coves to where your prodaminent wind blows into? Are cranks effective with water temps under 80? How about underwater structures like submerged bridges, old road beds, and over deep brushpiles? Also, what is the best trolling plate for a 115 four stroke(I got a yamaha)? One more ?, telescopic rods, can't find too many of them around here either? Any suggestions? I need 16ft? Thanks so much Brad

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Brad, I'm confused as to what youre trying to do. If longline trolling I dont see where 5 oz weights are needed. Also not really sure why you want 16' rods. Are you pushing (spider rigging) your baits off the front...and if so, at what speeds do you push at?
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, total vertical pushing-jigs, and I will try cranks when warmer. No live bait, just 2-3inch grubs(Curleys), sliders, small simbait types. All with heavier wgts.(4-5oz or heavier) in front of the boat to keep them down. I have been slow troling vertical for 5 years and here in TX its great during spring/winter, but during tourneys and unfamiliar water its tough! Tried flat lining/long lining(?) does work, but wind will limit you. Looking for main lake tech. and trying to see if I can make this work here in TX. I really do think that the main lake areas will hold (schools)bigger fish, rather than trying to hit timber(mainly in certain arms) in the wind? We can use two baits per rod, and pre-fishing can use five jig leaders to find where fish are in the water column, also by using 16ft/heavy wgt and move-.5-1.5 mph I can cover more water(least 30ft)...? Don't get me wrong, when 15-25mph winds come in, anything can be tough, but there also needs to be other protected areas to fish this method?? Maybe the dam areas by deeper points? Just trying to get ideas, and so I can look at maps and I can get a better approach on trying/learning. Also, if anyone out there does this or does have experience, what about the other species-stripers/sand bass/small-large mouth that can make fishing fun, but also problems...what would be your suggestions. Thanks so much Brad
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 02-16-2011 at 04:45 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the powertroll method (hints the name) mostly open water flats,ledges,channels. There was an article by Kent Driscoll in Crappie world last year had some good info. Water temp has to be up 60's and up I haven't done worth a crap powertrolling in cooler water temps, look for pionts that lead from shallow to deep channels (staging area to feeding area). Look for travel cooridoors that the crappie will use. When the water temp gets up I like to pull cranks you can use wieghts to get them down pulling or pushing you cover water well and the wind dont matter as much. Just remember the deeper you go the heavier wieght you will need the faster you go and at times it takes alot of wieght to keep the lines verticle. Cover is not your friend when powertrolling by the time you see it on the DF all your rods are bent all the way over. In all honesty I would lean more toward longlinning jigs to cover the open water and use your trolling motor or get a Trol-a-matic which goes on your outboard best investment I made last year slows your speed .5-.7 and you can speed up if you need to and makes longlining easier and more effective. But if your by yourself powertrolling works well you have no trouble doing everything yourself up front. Hope it helps good luck I'm still learning everytime I go out.

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I pull cranks in the summer after the spawn is over and the crappie move deeper. I bought a tolling plate last year also and it does work very well. I still use my trolling motor for speeds up to 1.5 but if I have a long run I'm making I'll use the outboard and plate.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot yall for info. Brad