Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Type of Boat

Post Thanks / Like

Default 'Type of Boat

I am looking to purchase a boat for fishing for 2-4 people. What type of b0at should i look into? what should a look out for when buying a used boat (motor, etc)? Where are some good places to find used boats near memphis/northern mississippi?

Post Thanks / Like

The sky is the limit. How much are you willing to spend? Fiberglass or aluminum hull?

Post Thanks / Like

khenders -

Check out the Commercial Appeal. Lots of frustrated duck hunters might be selling their boats right now.
    You may also want to get a copy of the marine version of the Auto Trader, although I think most boats in there are the more expensive styles.

Concord N,C home lake, High Rock, tuckertown
    Post Thanks / Like

khenders, i fish a 21ft pontoon great for when you want to take a couple of friends, plenty of room, you can find olders ones fairly cheap and you can fix it up the way you want, took all the furniture outof our old toon and added new carpet, with high back pedastal seats wouldnt fish any other way.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, if I were to only fish on lakes and rivers without alot of rough water (3ft and higher waves) I would definatly go with a toon. We fish some pretty big water once and while otherwise that is what I would own. I just traded my 91 1750 Lund Tyee or a 2001 Pro Vee 1900. The tyee was a great boat, but was narrower than my new one. The newer boats are all for the most part wider. The width gives you just as much, or more room than length. It's amazing how much more room 1.5 ft of more length, and 1.5 ft more width gave me. In my opinion, if you are going with a boat, buy as large as you can afford, and tow. The drawback to a big boat, is it is tough, or impossible getting into those shallow little hot spots.

Post Thanks / Like

AS I say everytime....WIDTH, WIDTH and more WIDTH....on the bottom that is

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sac-a-lait
    AS I say everytime....WIDTH, WIDTH and more WIDTH....on the bottom that is
    Sac you hit the nail on the head in my opinion. To me width, width and more width = great ride, safety and much more comfort.

Trust me on this, as my boat offers none of these features.

Post Thanks / Like

I got a 20/72 SeaArk. Its plenty big enough for me and the family. If your just starting out and the budget is tight buy something at least 14ft. It really depends on your home waters and your needs. Search the net for used boats and go to Bass Pro Shops and climb inside one or two or all of them. Yeh they're new but you will get an idea of what you want and can afford. I started with a 12ft jon boat with a 9.9 on it. Then a 14ft jon. Several smaller boats. Then a 18ft old bass boat. Then a 12ft homemade boat with a 15hp. Now I have my best, biggest and probably my last boat.
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day

buckbrush Guest

i would go with the war eagle "screaming eagle " addition.. 17ft i take mine out on the mississippi river and the tennessee and never had a problem rain or snow...... also take it in water less than a foot deep trolling or 3ft at full throttle ...... i've got a 90hp merc. and it will carry up to 5 people but 3 is comfortable...

Post Thanks / Like

I am in the process of convincing SWMBO that I "need" a new boat. Here is the one I have been lusting over:
    http://www.tritonboats.com/print_standard.asp?bmid=310

They are pricey though. Dual axle trailer with fiberglass fenders and a 200 optimax they are pushing $27,000. An awesome boat though, capable of four fishing chairs 2/2 with baitwell and livewells in front and rear.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast