Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Question about spider rigs and trolling

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question about spider rigs and trolling

This may sound like a stupid question, but I have never owned a boat, so I dont know anything about it. I see all this stuff for trolling, rod holders, spider rigs and everything. I was wondering how do you mount the base of them to the boat to keep them steady and still,without damaging the boat. I plan on getting me some when I buy my boat. Thanks everyone and hold the laughs.

Post Thanks / Like

Crappieseeker, Probably you and another several million people would like the answer to that question. There probably isn't a boat owner out there who hasn't mounted something on their boat and then wished it was in another location. Or you replace the existing products with the latest and greatest updates, and find you have to drill more holes in your boat. Check out the gunwales of any boat that has changed hands a few times, and they will look like swiss cheese from old mount holes of different equipment. There are manufacturers of track type systems that mount to your boat, then you add your accessories to it, so you aren't drilling more holes in the boat when you change gear. The track systems are pretty expensive though. As far as getting good solid mounts, sometimes you need a backup plate underneath to strengthen the area around the mounting base. Always try and use stainless steel screws and elastic lock nuts rather than self tapping screws. Spend sometime looking at other people's setup's, you can learn from their mistakes, or their wisdom of setting up previous boats.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I could mount them on something portable that is heavy enough to hold them steady without having to mount it. It would have to be designed pretty well, maybe I could find someone who could rig me up something. Anyone have some advice.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If I can get my hands on a digital camera (that I can figure out how to work) I'll post a picture of my rig. I can fish 8 poles out the front and someone can fish another 8 out the back. Its all homemade and no holes drilled in the boat. Well, except for the places where I was playing musical trolling motors.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

IBNFSHN, I would like to see the pics if you can do it. Can you give a simple explanation until then?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi seeker,
    If you get into spider rigging you are in for a real treat! I just started this year and I think it is my favorite technique , probably because you can have so much success with it. My rig is homemade and so far serves the purpose really well. I have 4 racks of 3 rodholders each so 4 people can fish with a total of 12 poles. Here in Indiana we're allowed 3 poles so thats why I made mine with 3 rodholders. My basstracker has grey carpet on wooden decks , so I just mounted a flange with female threads in each corner of my boat. Each flange is screwed onto the carpet into the wood with 4 wood screws.The flanges have such a low profile that I just leave them there and when I want to use a certain one to fish from I just screw a 12 " piece of pipe with the rack of rodholders attached to it into the flange and Im ready to go. I made the rack from a piece of 2x4 and mounted 3 inexpensive rod holders to it and the whole thing is surprisingly strong. I didn't want holes in my boat either and this way if I decide to remove these flanges I just take out the screws and the carpet will close up over any screw holes and you will never know any thing was there. Hope this helps.........treepotato
    '

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappieseeker
    IBNFSHN, I would like to see the pics if you can do it. Can you give a simple explanation until then?
    CS, send me an E-mail to [email protected] and I'll try to send you some pictures. I have them on an E-mail on this machine but can't figure out how to detach them.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappieseeker
    This may sound like a stupid question, but I have never owned a boat, so I dont know anything about it. I see all this stuff for trolling, rod holders, spider rigs and everything. I was wondering how do you mount the base of them to the boat to keep them steady and still,without damaging the boat. I plan on getting me some when I buy my boat. Thanks everyone and hold the laughs.
    Check out the link I posted below on a post about spider rigs. The Bee Ready rod holders can be mounted many different ways (even to a 5 gal bucket). There are a lot of options and each can have from 1 to 5 holders each.

I plan on mounting the mounts to my wood deck (pontoon boat) and use risers. I will have 4 mounts and 2 risers. The risers can be moved from one mount to the other. If I choose to I can get more risers and use all 4 with as many of the holder as I want. Right now I ordered 2 adjustable holder stations with 3 holders each.

Oh heck here is the link again....

http://www.edswebshop.com/bee1.htm

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a really good set up.
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.