Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: What This Site Is All About

Post Thanks / Like

Smile What This Site Is All About

I want to tell you something that happened to me. A few weeks ago I posted on someone's thread that I had not fished hair jigs since my mother and father in-law, from Delhi, LA, had gotten out of the business. A day or two later a man, I just call him Mr Ray for privacy sake, sent me a private message and asked me my real name and who my in-laws were. I sent him a message with the information he wanted and also told him that the last D & P jigs that I had were stolen about 19 months ago when a thief liberated me of all of my fishing tackle; rods, reels, and tackle box. A couple of days later Mr Ray sent me another message telling me that he had some of those D & P jigs and that he was going to send me some of them. You have to understand that my father-in-law taught me to jig fish with hand-poured, hand-scraped, hand-painted, hand-tied jigs that he and my mother-in-law made. My father-in-law did everything but tie them and my mother-in-law tied them. Those jigs were a part of my history with my wife and her family and I was devastated when they were stolen from me. Well yesterday, 2-12-11, I received several dollars woth of D & P jigs from Mr Ray. I, now, have a part of my history back and everytime I catch a fish on one of them I will remember his kindness. I can never thank him enough.

That, my friends, in my humble opinion, is what this site is all about; sharing information so we can all become better crappie fishermen and women, and building friendships with people that we may have never met that , hopefully, will last a lifetime.

I don't think this site is about what we call the fish we catch or what we call our site or whether we post pictures or not; all of which have been "hot" topics lately. Seeing some of those comments makes me want to come here less and less often. Let's just get back to what, I think, the site is about and what "Slab" created it for to begin with.

My humble opinion. I hope that I did not offend anyone with this post.

A slave to the Master, Bro. Lavelle Spillers.
    The Lord is good. His mercy and love endures forever.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update. You could put a few of those jigs in a shadow box and hang on the wall for all to remember. Just a thought.

Jig Rig
    Ephesians 1:13

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Jig Rig Pastor, I would not put "all of my eggs in one basket" so to speak, least they all suffer some sort of disaster again. There are to many memories tied to those to put them all at risk.

With that said I must add that I've met some of the finest people in the world here on this site and hope I continue do do so. Ed (Slab) has put together a great avenue for us to share and care and it is up to us as individuals to maintain and power it. We all share in that responsibility to help keep it the best site ever. Words shared in jest make for a more joyous life, but words put out like daggers and swords can only cut us to pieces.

Pastor your story about "Mr Ray" and his generosity goes to prove how this site can bring us all together not only in the common bond of fishing but of the brotherhood we are all call to.

Blessings to all,
    "gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome story Pastor,glad you reclaimed some of your history.I also agree with what you said,we have a good thing going here.I could careless what you call them fish.
    Could you show us what a D & P jig looks like?..........Thanks
    Romans 6:23

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with everything you said Pastor. Since I have been on here for not very long I have learned so much because the people here are so willing to share opinions and their knowledge. And a great SHOUT OUT to MR. Ray for being so kind and considerate.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Bob # 1 is offline Moderator Fisherman's Memorial Forum * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Pastor
    Very well said
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Testimonials
    Night fishing tips 101
    Temperature Guide Crappie

Fishing lights

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MO Slab View Post
    Awesome story Pastor,glad you reclaimed some of your history.I also agree with what you said,we have a good thing going here.I could careless what you call them fish.
    Could you show us what a D & P jig looks like?..........Thanks
    MO Slab, I will try to take a few pictures and post them soon.
    The Lord is good. His mercy and love endures forever.

Post Thanks / Like

Pastor. Mr. Ray told me the other day what he had done. I thought it was a great gesture. He bought a shadow box for the jigs he kept before sending the rest to you.
    Rick

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You certainly can't offend anyone by praising the goodness of someone else. Thank you for posting that and way to go Mr Ray!
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Well, so many on this site know that I am Mr. Ray. Let me say "THANKS" for your kind remarks. You all have given me kind words, so now I'd like to tell you who I'd like to say a big "THANKS" to: Dub and "Pete" Sumner, the Pastor's in-laws. Dub and "Pete" are the ones who got me started fishing jigs (1976), just the way they got Pastor started. They'll likely never know how much that has meant to me all of these years, and the fun is still going strong. Thanks, Dub and Pete, for all of the memories past and those to be made in the future. Ray
    Proud to be an AMERICAN fisherman!