Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: long polers

Post Thanks / Like

Question long polers

you guys that long pole for crappie what size weight do you use? listened to a guy at bps and he said he uses a 1/4 oz head with 10lb test line. i picked up a 10' pole and got a baitcaster on it to use so what set up do you guys use????

Post Thanks / Like

I like to use 1/16, 1/8, and if very windy or fishing deep I might use 1/4 but probably I would just tie on 2 1/8's. My favorite is 2 1/16's. I think you should try different weights and see what you like.

I like to double rig and have caught 5 or 6 doubles in the last few months.

Post Thanks / Like

Listen to Tom he can put them in a boat! I started fishing with all these guys a couple of years ago. Spring Camp in 2009 old Bugman shows me his long pole. I just about died looking at it but I didn't say anything! I was thinking yeah this guy says he can fish for crappie! Well I stopped using log cane poles when I was 5 years old where did this moron come from!

Just go to the Lake get in touch with one of the guys on this board, PoleBender aka Tom, Bugman, OSS, Jigging15 or any of the other guys and watch them use a long pole! Any of these guys can put fish in the boat faster than you open the livewell! And you can be in a boat fishing right with them with your best Crappie rod and they will make you look really bad really fast!

Let me tell you I use a 10 foot Ozark Rod, Wally Marshals didn't do it for me, a light spinning reel, 4 pound line with either a single 1/16 or double 1/16. Some use 6 pound line. With a log pole your going to throw away anything that you have ever learned about crappie fishing before. What I had to do was go to the lake, go hide out and force myself to learn how to use a long pole. Man there isn't anything like it! Most of us never reel up set how deep you want to fish by the length of the pole and go for it! Its like shooting ducks in a 5 gallon bucket! You can cover more ground and structure faster than you ever have before. I ain't never seen nothing like it!

Depends on the season. but between Warrensburg Mo and south Louisiana is a good place to look
    Post Thanks / Like

Long pole is the way to go but..... if you dont get a light weight one you will hate life! Ozark and BnM Sam Heatons is what I would go with, I like 11 footers but a 10 will work great as well. Truman I use braid only! Power Pro 10 pound is hard to beat. I'm a line watcher so I like a lighter line what will go limp if a crappie looks at it wrong.
    For jigs heads 2 8ths is the most I use. (slow trolling/ wind) I like single 8th or single 16th for everything else. I tip I tell everyone in my boat and trust me it works. If you keep your line straight up and down 90 degrees, you will not get hung up half as much but as soon as your line goes off the 90 degree mark your done lol
    In our government-controlled schools we are taught that Lincoln was our greatest president because his war ended slavery and saved the Union. As usual, the other side of the story – the side that reflects poorly on the government – somehow gets lost. – Richard J. Maybury, The Abe Lincoln Hoax

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use 10 1/2 ft B'n'M Russ Bailey rods and use the little metal WM baitcast reels spooled with 30lb Stren braid for dipping. Lots of good long rods out there but make sure you put a few in your hand before buying. Even with a small reel some of them are heavy. Ozark and Outlaw both are good lightweight rods for under $50. Spring camp would be a great time to see, handle and even use a few differant rods before buying one if you are coming to camp end of April first of May.

Post Thanks / Like

Dang J, 30 lb. braid! I'm guessing you have lost a couple pigs in the trees or something....break ya off?

Not knockin it, that's just some major line.

U

Post Thanks / Like

I rarely go over 16th oz unless wind is a factor. I use a lot of 32nd oz when the fish are in 1-4 ft of water. But 16th works great deeper than that. Mainly use hair jigs when I'm dipping on 10-11 ft poles. I like to use hi-vis 4-6 LB mono. But all around, the majority should be 16 oz.
    @lozcrappie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Route U View Post
    Dang J, 30 lb. braid! I'm guessing you have lost a couple pigs in the trees or something....break ya off?

Not knockin it, that's just some major line.

U
    Yeah I hear you too Route U! But I was looking at some of that new stuff the other day. Some of that new heavy braid is really thinner than normal sized line!

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the info guys i know it must be the way to go, i have watched oss and several others out catching me in the same area. i have a 7' ozark {i think} and a 6'2 outlaw like them both, caught a 10lb drum below the dam last year and the rod does not lack backbone at all. will try to get by everharts this weekend and pick something out.... any open water below truman dam yet??????

Post Thanks / Like

I actually picked up a Pro Angler 10' rod early in Jan that I'm excited to try out. I think it was $37, seemed like a good deal. Has anyone had experience with these rods? Seemed well balanced and light. They said it had a lot of backbone. Don't know much about them, not sure if I got taken by the ol sales-pitch. But for the price, I thought what the hell.
    @lozcrappie

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast