Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Distance Crappie move around?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Distance Crappie move around?

Anyone know how far crappie will move around in a big lake? I just was thinking on this and wondering if they stay in a general area "terretorial" or not? I know they go deep with low and high temps but will they stay in general that general area?
    An ungrateful man is like hog under a tree eating acorns, but never looking up to see where they come from!

Post Thanks / Like

Very good question, I was wondering the same thing. If a section of the lake is good for the deep water cold weather fishing would the shore areas close to there be good places to catch fish when they are trying to spawn.

Post Thanks / Like

whereever the food is. deep, shallow, middle of the lake, in the shallows, where ever theres food

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know if its still there, but you may still be able to go on the KY fish and game dept. website, and follow the crappie tracked on KY lake. Its pretty cool, and it will answer your question.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

I know here a the foot i have heard from older people that the fish will travel from the upper basin down to the lower and back. Thay also say that the black crappie stay in the middel basin. I am glad you brought this up i am going to do some investigating on this matter.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a guy on the Mississippi board ( Crappie Radio)that is doing a study for his college project and he has transmitters on some white crappie and also some black crappie in Sardis lake in MS. He is tracking and mapping their movements. You can check it out here. http://www.crappie.com/crappie/missi...eb-5-12-a.html
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Thats interesting! I hope this thread keeps going with everyone's thought on this.
    An ungrateful man is like hog under a tree eating acorns, but never looking up to see where they come from!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think that Crappie will roam all over a lake. They are structure and cover oriented. If they have all the things that they need they will stay in a given area and not roam very far. They need a spawning area, a staging area and deep water or channel near by. As long as they have a food source they will be content to stay in their area. If they lose their food or cover they will move just far enough to replentish it. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Calico's travel all over a lake, up, down, east, west, north and south. Why? Their forage travels all over a lake, up, down, east, west, north and south. Why? Their forage, zooplankton and microscopic organisms, travel all over the lake, up, down, east, west, north and south. Why? Wind, sunlight, water temps, water clarity and water quality are all a factor in the location of the "base" of the food chain. Other factors that contribute to the constant travel of crappie are spawn, competing species, fishing pressure. So, crappie travel eveywhere because of their complex environmental relationships.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by esoxesox View Post
    Calico's travel all over a lake, up, down, east, west, north and south. Why? Their forage travels all over a lake, up, down, east, west, north and south. Why? Their forage, zooplankton and microscopic organisms, travel all over the lake, up, down, east, west, north and south. Why? Wind, sunlight, water temps, water clarity and water quality are all a factor in the location of the "base" of the food chain. Other factors that contribute to the constant travel of crappie are spawn, competing species, fishing pressure. So, crappie travel eveywhere because of their complex environmental relationships.
    Interesting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast