Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Quick bit of advice needed about mounting Hi Teks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Quick bit of advice needed about mounting Hi Teks

Real quick guys, my last step in my Crappie rig transformation is to finally mount my Hi Teks. Mounting in a fiberglass boat with carpet. Drilled holes yesterday and got Terrova mounted, so my fear of drilling glass is gone. But now I have to go through carpet too. Do I burn through carpet, cut a small X in carpet, or just use the drill bit to go through the carpet. Will it tear up the carpet? Obviously it will be covered by base, but want it to look alright should I ever move bases. Found previous posts on similar topics, but not specifically about the carpet. Going to use the screws that came with holders to attach, and predrill with recommended bit, just curius about carpet. Trying to get done this morning so I can go play this afternoon. New HDS with SS, new Terrova, lots to play with, probably wont do a lot of fishing. Thanks guys. You are always helpful. I may be making too big a deal about this, just like to be sure before I jump in.

Post Thanks / Like

I mounted mine last sunday. I had another set and went to Hiteks. I just drilled through the carpet and had no problems.
    Take you kids fishing today!!! They will be grown (and married and have children of their on) tomorrow. Then you can take your GRANDKIDS!
    Podunkideas Pro Staff
    Cornfield Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I mounted mine last week and just drilled right thru the carpet. My advice would be to use a 9/64 bit for fiberglass as opposed to the recommended 1/8. I used 1/8 for the first base and ended up twisting the head off one of the screws. The shank of the screw is at least 3/16 so I'm not sure why they recommend 1/8. 9/64 worked great on the other three bases.

Post Thanks / Like

Just found that out too, luckily before I stripped head I stopped and got a bigger bit (9/64 is what I used too). Got one base installed, two screws in other one, and my battery went dead. Thirty minutes and I'll be done with all of it. Seems like it has been a year ago when I bought this boat and started rigging it up. But its only been a few weeks. By the time you order stuff, wait on it to get here (including weather delays), get it, find out you have to order something else....anyway, two more screws and off to the lake. I think I'll have everything just right....until next week! Thanks for the help.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If the carpet has a continuous fiber, like commercial level loop carpet, then you cut it first. With the stuff we used in the boats the pile is cut on top so that we get the nice fluffy feeling when you walk on it. Hence, no continuous pile. The only thing that could wrap the bit and cause problems is the fiber that the nap is tufted through, black stringy lookin stuff. If you wanted to be safe a 1/4" X would get that out of the way. I mounted mine without incident, LOVE my hi-teks. I broke a screw too.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around