Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: In need of advidse please?

Post Thanks / Like

Default In need of advidse please?

When I fish a 1/16 0z or 1/32 oz jig my line will not stay tight in the water. I usually fish 1/8 oz and have no problem. I am using 6 lbs line on my reel. I dont know if im doing somthing wrong or its suppose to be like this. If not how can i fix the problem?

Post Thanks / Like

With the light stuff, I use 4lb line. It can be very tough to fish light jigs when it's windy due to the line blowing around.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with CatFan...Thumbs Up I use 4lb. line when fishing jigs.Also, it might be the kind of line you're using.... I've heard fluorocarbon line sinks faster than regular mono, but I've never used it before...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    With the light stuff, I use 4lb line. It can be very tough to fish light jigs when it's windy due to the line blowing around.
    I definately agree with this.
    I only fish on days that start with T, like tuesday, thursday, today, and tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to reel slowly with 1/32 oz, reel only enough to keep the slack out, but line still wont be tight. you have to watch your line more and not rely on feel as much, that is why I use 6# hi-vis line, if it twitches set the hook, I feel only about 10 percent of the bites with 1/32 jigs I see the other 90 percent.
    Minnermatics Prostaff
    My wife lets me buy all the rods and reels I can hide.

Post Thanks / Like

You can add a small split shot weight above your jig to help keep the line tight. It would be the same as going to a heavier jig but still using a smaller jig, if that is what the crappie want. Just put it a few inches above your jig and it will help quite a bit, without changing the action of the jig. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

I have also used a small split shot just above the jig. Also, line twist or line memory could affect your line which could cause your line not to straighten out. New line would correct this.

LB

Post Thanks / Like

Swap to 15# braid , it has the same diameter as 4# mono and will keep straight.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    Sales and service on Directv and Wildblue internet
    Owner of Sickle Jigs.
    Slab Bandit Pro Staff

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The lightest braid you can find is twice as tough as you need for crappie. One of my club brothers uses 1lb diameter, 8lb test braid and ties it direct to the jig. Hardly ever looses a jig and he's tough to beat in a tournament. No memory, no stretch, and full contact. It has it's down side but it's the ticket for light jigs.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skeetbum View Post
    The lightest braid you can find is twice as tough as you need for crappie. One of my club brothers uses 1lb diameter, 8lb test braid and ties it direct to the jig. Hardly ever looses a jig and he's tough to beat in a tournament. No memory, no stretch, and full contact. It has it's down side but it's the ticket for light jigs.
    That is what I use. And I use an 1/8th oz jig 95% of the time.

Adam

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast