Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: evinrude E Tec?

Post Thanks / Like

Default evinrude E Tec?

just wondering if any of you guys run these motors and what you think about them. O ne of the new boats I am looking at comes with them and I have always run Mercury and don't know much about Evinrude?

Post Thanks / Like

I'd recommend checking out BBC for this one. There's going to be more specific information on there. This link will take you to the Evinrude board. BBC Boards: Evinrude/Johnson Motors

Good luck with whatever you end up buying.

Post Thanks / Like

Not saying ANYTHING bad about an ETEC....but look around your area and make sure you have a few dealers close by that work on them for when you do need work done. That is one thing good about the black motors, seems like there are places that work on them all over.

Just my $.02 worth.

Post Thanks / Like

I am running an E-TEC HO and no complaints. I did a lot of reading because I had only had Mercury motors. I am pleased with how quiet the E-TEC is and the fuel economy compared to my Mercury EFI motors. I do not spend a lot of time running at WOT which no motor is going to get great fuel economy at the upper limits of the RPM range. I can not remember the last time I put fuel in my boat but think it was 3 or 4 months ago. I have put Sea Foam and Marine Sta-bile in it to keep the fuel in good shape. I fish once or twice a week on average and usually run around 50 MPH. I also run the XD 100 oil as recommended and purchase it from my local dealer who has it in bulk for $35 if you bring your jug in they will fill it. This is more then I paid for my Mercury EFI oil but I am using less so in the end I do not think it is costing me anymore.

My over all opinion is the E-TEC has been as good as any of the Mercury’s I have had and I would buy another one.

I agree with BarryG on making sure you have a dealer close by to perform the service work.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the input guys, I am getting ready to go back to the Boat show and look again, I can't make up my mind just yet.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that you need to have someone in your immediate area to work on them. Here in Lexington,KY.,there's no one who sells them...Doh But i have heard they are good engines, but they haven't been out that long..

Post Thanks / Like

Couple of good Evinrude dealers in your area, one of the top 5 Evinrude dealers in the country is within what I'd term as driving distance but you might have different thoughts on how far is too far. Surely the dealer you're looking at purchasing through would service the engine. The Evinrude is as smooth idling and quiet as any 2 stroke DI in the market at present. You will find fans of all the major engine brands as well as people not so happy with each. Personally I wouldn't put too much faith in certain forum boards across the country. This one isn't too judgmental but there are some web sites dominated by people with agendas for one brand or the other. Good luck, sounds like you are still researching which is good.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 2005 boat with a 225hp E-Tec. I love it, good running motor.
    I had a mercury before--i might have bought a lemon -- no more mercury's !

Z21
    How's it going : One foot in the grave, one foot on a banana peel, twenty people pushing !!!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 2008 Etec 115/80 jet on my boat. My tech is Cowtown in Cuba. Myself and several others run the Etec jets on our jet boats and have had good luck. So far I'm the only one who had any issues at all. This summer I had an injector go out on me and took it in to Cowtown and they replaced it under warranty. She's ran like a top ever since.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 50 hp ETEC and know several more guys in the area that have them and all are very satisified. There is a dealer in Hamburg Ill. thats not that far from you DRD. They always seem to make good deals there. we use them for duckhunting and fishing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast