Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Reel Maintenance

number2 Guest

Default Reel Maintenance

A couple of years ago I got a Penn 4400ss and while using it the reel had built up sand in the grease and oil both inside and outside of the housing, so the reel needed to be cleaned.

I didn't want to wait over a month for Penn to do the work and the guy at the local reel repair shop was really backed up so I decided to do the work myself.

I couldn't find any instructions on how to do this but I do have the diagram that came with the reel to work with.

After taking it apart and cleaning it, I went to put it back together the other day but can't figure where to put the spring that was part of the anti-reverse gear. I can't tell from the diagram. All other parts in the rotor and housing are where there supposed to be and everything works but the anti-reverse.

If anyone out there is familiar with the assembly of this reel I would love to hear any tips on the maintenance of this reel, like what type of grease and oil to use in it and especially where the heck this spring is supposed to go.

After using this reel for a while I'm not to impressed with it, but it cost to much money for me to just toss it and move on to a new one.

I really would like to get it back into good working order.

Post Thanks / Like

THOMAS BLECKER
    2558 SALMON ST.
    PHILADELPHIA, PA. 19124
    [email protected]
    BEST MAN EVER ON PENN REELS. IF HE CAN NOT HELP YOU NOBODY CAN.

Post Thanks / Like

now I am not mechanically minded at all - but my father -in-law show me how to take down a peen reel clean it and put it back together - if I can do it anybody can - if it is the part I am thinking of you have to make sure you have the every thing in the right position - there is a notch that has to be turned just right for it all to fit back like it supposed to be
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I love the penn spinning reels - I fish saltwater a lot so I have 2 - 750's, 1 -450 - 2 440's - 1 430 - and 2 - 420's - they are a little pricey to crappie fish with but I love to crappie fish with my 420 and 430 - I may buy a couple of more for different baits for saltwater and add them on board when I am trolling for crappie as well
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey # 2 ,
    Try this web site. Great for parts and help.http://southwesternparts.com/frames.asp Click on reel parts and it will take you to your reel schematic. I work on reels and if you want to send it to me I can fix it for free if you pay the shipping .
    Last edited by ifish; 02-26-2006 at 07:31 AM.
    Life is Good !
    2018 Kentucky & Tennessee Crappie Masters State Champs!

Post Thanks / Like

I have 1 and a 4500 that I have cleaned for over 10 yrs. One end of the spring goes into the housing that holds the anti-rev. gear in place. Look at the surface of it close to the brass anti-rev. cog that catches/stops the gear. I am talking the black plastic molding that the gear and cog are on. It is hard to see as it is a pinprick of a hole. You will need to have the alum shaft that is the trip mechanism in place-the one that goes thru the reel and you screw the "flip" tab on that you switch back & forth with your thumb to operate anti-rev. The other end of it you have to hold and tweak it with a needle-nose pliers and it fits into and against a cam on the same housing.
    Once you find the little hole in the black plastic housing I think you will figure it out. Holler if ya have problems.
    Jeff
    Hang in there. I have never had trouble with where or how the parts go together but the SEQUENCE took alot of getting used to. I finally wrote down the step by step reassembly info and it saved me alot of headache. Great reel and the 4500 too. I saltwater fished the heck out of them for many years and just keep em cleaned & lubed and have a few bail springs handy and good to go. I have a 4200SS I crappie fish with and it is nice too.
    Shoer,
    12th Degree Ninja

number2 Guest

Thanks for the confidence boost crap-king, I hope things go as well for me.

Thanks for the tip BORIGINI, If things dont work out with this project I may look this guy up, but it would be hard to pass up ifish's offer.

I checked out southwestern parts and Its a great site. I was trying to price springs for this reel and had been unable to get any info, thanks ifish.

Horseshoer I think that I have an idea now of what I need to do but I would love to see your step by step assembly notes. That is what I had been looking for and I don't know why no one has published any guides like that for sale any whare. Like the Clymer and Chilton guides for cars. There has got to be a couple of bucks to be made in it.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey #2 how bout this. I will take my dig. camera and get a cpl good shots of it-I need to break both my bigger ones down anyway and clean them. I have to get everything out and will do it tomorrow sometime. If for some reason I don't post send me a PM and I will get it done. I am sure that between the pics and explaining it we can get your reel together. Will be easier for me to tell the steps while actually doing it anyway.
    Jeff
    Shoer,
    12th Degree Ninja

number2 Guest

That sounds cool. I'll log on tomarrow to see how It's goin.