Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thank a Veteran

Crappie Xtreme is offline Moderator Illinois Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thank a Veteran

Hey everyone I would like to say thanks to everyone on this site. I have been getting on Crappie.com for a long time but never thought about getting in here and reading this forum until a few weks ago. I have been reading all the good info and think it is great. I didn't know there were that many crappie fisherman out there.
    I would like to take this time and tell a story that happened to me this week while I was crappie fishing. Me and two boys were fishing a few weeks ago in an area we fish a lot. We were catching a few fish but it was cold and the wind was blowing. We decided to leave, but before we did I told the boys I wanted to sink a tree where we were. There were several tree's cut down on the bank and just left there so I decided to utilize them the right way.
    We were not alone that day in that area it is an area that is fished by several people. The other boat had an elderly man in it fishing by himself. He came up by me and my boys and began to speak to us. He asked how old they were and told me it was great that I had them out on the lake fishing. He told me he was 84 years young and that he used to take his kids fishing and missed it. He also told me that he lost his wife this last year and all he does is crappie fish.
    While I was talking to him I began to get the tree and pull it out in the water to sink it. I got the tree where I wanted it and tied two large rocks to it and sank it.
    When I got done the man came by and asked if I wanted the few fish that he caught. He had four fish and they were a bonus to the mess I had. After that I thanked him and left with my boys.
    This is the first year that I have ever seen this man on the lake and almost every time I have went this year he is there.
    It's been a little over a month since I sank that tree and every time I go to that area to fish that man is sitting on my tree fishing. I don't think anything about it. I have several other places to fish and there is a lot of old brush in the water just a few yards away from the tree I sank. Every time he is there he begins a conversation with me. We talk about fishing, of course and he asks me how my kids are doing if they are not with me.
    I fish almost daily and three days ago I pulled up in that area to fish and he was sitting on that tree fishing. I asked if he was catching any fish and he stated he had just got there. He asked if I wanted to fish there because it was my tree. I told him to go ahead and fish and that I did not mind. I started fishing just a few yards away from him and began a conversation with him. He began to talk about the mud slide that had happened in the Philippines and asked me if I had heard about it. I told him that I seen it on the news and it didn't look good. He then told me when he was in the military in the 40's that was where he was in World War 2 and they liberated it.
    He told me that he was at the doctors office one day and the doctor was from the Philippines and the area where the land slide was. He and the doctor began to talk about it and he told the doctor he was there during the war. He said the doctor stopped what he was doing and hugged him for his service and for what he did during the war.
    After hearing this mans story, I realized that was not my fishing spot, it was his and he deserves to fish there every day. I thanked him and shared some of my crappie jigs with him.
    My dad was Paratrooper in the 82nd Airborne during the Vietnam war and came home safely and I am very patriotic and I fly the flag proudly.

I wanted to share my story with everyone because the men and women of the military do make a difference. If it were not for them we would not get to do what it is we love to do (crappie fish).
    I want to take a moment and thank any veterans on this site that either served or are serving in peace time or war in any branch of the military.

Thanks
    Scott.
    Last edited by Crappie Xtreme; 02-25-2006 at 03:38 PM.
    IL board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

i agree, very moving story people dont relize the sacrifices that were made esp this generation i guess im part of this new generation im only 30 years of age and had grandparents and great uncles in the wars of this nation, i respect all men and women of our armed forces, god bless america!

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

yes verry mooving . i have all the respect of any one that served in the armed forces. i didn`t but did have 2 brothers that did . one served in vietnom . he made it home but died frone canser in 1997 caused by agent orange . that is what the doctors report his wife got a few weaks after his death .
    i have a frind that is 84 and he served in ww 2 has a purple heart from hand being shot up . he has ben sick latley and i check on hem and take hem meals when he can`t git up and do for hemself . we need to take care of the elderley wheather they are vetrans or not .the vetrand will alwayes have a special place in our hearts.
    Last edited by papasage; 02-25-2006 at 08:38 PM.
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

As a retired USAF member, I would like to personally thank you for your post. It isn't often enough these older veterans get the recognition they deserve. I am a member of the VFW and see our numbers dwindling rapidly. There are very very few WWII and Korean Veterans left and fewer each week. The young military members are keeping up the tradition, and not enough is being done to recognize them individually. I do everytime I get the chance and it is good that others do as well. Once again, thanks for your post and may each and all welcome any military member who want to join this forum, I know I will.
    A gun in hand is a lot better than a cop on the phone.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't post here much but do read the poste evry day if I can.

I am 52 yo, didn't go to Veitnam or serve in the military. But everytime I find a person who was in the Armed Services I tell them Thank you an shake their hand. A lot of men and women tell me that they rarely get told Thanks. A few have had tears well up in their eyes. My Dad was a WW2 vet and I let him know that what he did meant a lot to me. He died about 2 1/2 years ago.

A lot of these young kids think that freedom is free and they don't think a thing about what is going around the world. Some day they will wake up and see what it takes to be free.

So with that I do say as often as I can to ALL VETERANS THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH.

Randy
    Bad day of fishing better than a very good day at work

Randy

Billbob is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2013 Guber Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you for your post all i want is a smile and a nod it is nice to know people like you are still out there the old man will move fore you but i dont think you ask thank you
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Crappie.com Pro Staff
    Guber Pro Staff
    Cane Pole Pro Staff
    Haulin Ash Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

That is what you call hitting the nail on the head. I, Myself served in the Marines from 87 - 95. My son was born while I was in desert storm. But it is people like that old man who have made this Country what it is today, The hard part now is not to let them down, or ruin it for the ones coming behind us. Thank you for shareing it with us

Post Thanks / Like

Great post. Means alot to any Vet. Thankyou.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a touching story. My family and I pray all the time for those who serve our nation and sacrifice their lives for a better tomorrow, not just for Americans, but for the world. I hope and pray God Blesses every individual for their sacrifice and service. Thank you to all our military and supporters... God Bless
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day

Post Thanks / Like

Dad was a WWII veteran. He fought in Austria. Unfortunately I was too young and head strong to realize what this meant. Not until after he was gone (died in 96) did I realize what he and all the others did to keep this country free. I know he received medals for various things but could never find them. The one thing I have is my uncle's (my mother's brother) helmet that he wore in WWII. It has a bullet hole in it where a German soldier shot him. The bullet went in spun around the inside of the helmet, parted his hair, and knocked him down.
    I teach high school and get upset when students do not want to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance each morning. Most are from other countries do not care that their parents brought them here for a better life.
    Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now with this closing statement. Thank you to all the men and women who have risked their lives and for those who have given their lives so we can live in a country where we can chose the lives we lead.
    Jim
    The best time to go fishing is now!:D

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast