Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Little Warning (Heads Up)

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Little Warning (Heads Up)

I was just at a company Captain & Pilot meeting in Nashville. This was 1 of the topics.

Yes, we're gonna get some high water.

With all the snow & ice we've had this winter the worst thing that can happen is sudden, drastic, warm weather, & that's what's come'n. A slow gradual warm up would be ideal but looks like next week we're look'n at warmth, sunshine, & a chance of warm rain reaching pretty far north.

Best case scenario would be slow warming in the mid & southern US while maintaining just moderate/no warming with freezing temps at night in the northern states. This ice needs to melt a little at a time over a period of 2 to 3 weeks. A big warm up & rain could be catastrophic.

This problem is far reaching, encompassing all our major rivers and tributaries. Probably the worst hit will be the Upper & Lower Mississippi River valley & the mid and lower Ohio River valley. I expect there will be some elevated levels on Ky. & Barkley Lake but I don't think right now it will be that significant. The only exception would be if they reduce flows to relieve pressure down stream of Ky & Barkley dams and we get a lot of rain down south. Then the lakes would get pretty high.

I would look for Ky & Barkley to run the heck outta water while they can & keep the pool as close to winter pool as they can, so that they can hold water during the critical time. So if you're planning to fish below 1 of these dams in the next 2 weeks it might be tuff.

In the mean time if you own property in the flood plain get flood insurance of sell quick! The time to plan for flooding is now. Don't wait till the last minute. This would apply if you live in the flood plain of the Upper Miss., Ill., Missouri, Lower Miss., Mid to Lower Ohio, or any of their tributaries.

This is just the opinion of a 35+ year river man.

Take care.
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Dang! Ya'll just can't get a break up there this year.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 02-10-2011 at 11:27 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

i just left a thread on another page about this!! lol....i figured you would be the man that knows for kentucky lake...i have been hearing the same thing because we cross the mississippi in hanibal mo....and we always get flooded out in that town...still gonna plan my trip in april for kentucky lake!!! be safe out there

Post Thanks / Like

Table Rock is about 9 foot low right now so we can hold a bunch.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the heads up. Will definitely check the water level before heading out to the lake the next couple of weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

Good info, thanks

"The greatest use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it".

William James

Post Thanks / Like

I heard this morning that the Platte River around Kearney Ne. is flooding already or ready to go out of the banks. The temps here are to get into the 60's by next Wednesday. That will make for some serious flooding where the Platte and Elkcorn rivers come togerther at Rulo Ne. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

the rocketrich has been telling me about the impending flooding to come for a while. i kinda blew it off for this far down but maybe it will effect us down here too. the rivers around here are very very low but can and will fill up in a hurry depending on what the miss does.

Post Thanks / Like

Just like Wiskers said, TVA will try to get rid of all they can while they can. Once the snow melt up east fills up the Ohio River, TVA will have to hold back water. There is a certain elevation, that when it is reached, The Corp of Engineers actually dictates how much water that TVA can release.
    Strange enough I have still caught good fish during high water levels. Actually I still find fish in some of their normal haunts, they are just covered by extra water.
    Launching and docking does become a problem at some locations though.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Jig Man View Post
    Just like Wiskers said, TVA will try to get rid of all they can while they can. Once the snow melt up east fills up the Ohio River, TVA will have to hold back water. There is a certain elevation, that when it is reached, The Corp of Engineers actually dictates how much water that TVA can release.
    Strange enough I have still caught good fish during high water levels. Actually I still find fish in some of their normal haunts, they are just covered by extra water.
    Launching and docking does become a problem at some locations though.
    That level is 40' on the Cairo gage.
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast