Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How often do you replace your line?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How often do you replace your line?

Just curious how often everyone respools? I normally pull off a few feet of line after every few trips to get rid of any abbrasions. Then, I'll completely respool maybe 2 or 3 times a year. I normally use Mr. Crappie 6# test.

How about you?

btw...I did a search and didn't find much.
    J

Post Thanks / Like

I will change the 4 pound line on my ultra light 2 or 3 times a year.

Post Thanks / Like

at least as much as www said and it really depends on how much you fish and depends on how fast or much the line takes a set. braided line won't have to be changed like mono will as it won't take a set.

Post Thanks / Like

As soon as my spool gets down to half full,my guess is about 6 times a year.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I normally spool same test of cheap line and add just enough of my good line to be able to do what ever i am using reel for. Not much for spider rigging more for casting. Cut out abrasions until line gets to short then just spool back up. 3-4 times a season. save lot of money this way. most of us never use more than 1/4 of line we spool on reel.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

As needed throughout the year to fill out the spool, (nail knot works great for joining pieces of mono together that are within 6lb test of each other) and once per season over the winter with all new line. I'm cheap:D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EnonEye View Post
    As needed throughout the year to fill out the spool, (nail knot works great for joining pieces of mono together that are within 6lb test of each other) and once per season over the winter with all new line. I'm cheap:D
    oops sorry Agrihawg.. I use the blood knot to splice line together, not the nail knot as I said above. Not to steal your post but I'm just starting to use braided line. Who knows what knot is recommended to join braid and mono together? I know the blood knot does not work, it's too slippery to hold from my experience.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't fish very deep usually, and don't really fish that much-weekends mostly. I break off enough, or cut some off if I feel some cuts in the line, that I don't respool until I have lost too much line. Put a little more on. I don't think I added any at all last year. I just don't see having to replace line that often. I usually pull on the line by hand to check it's strength and call it good. I don't fish tourneys and very seldom have a chance of hooking a fish all that big. No line replacement schedule here.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Doing 'em all...maybe a couple times a year. Single rods where I break off alot....more than that.:rolleyes:
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Most line breaks at knot, I strip off 18" to 24" each time before I fish. Only respool, when line gets to low. Always tie a fresh knot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast