Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crappie facts?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie facts?

Anyone care to post a few facts on crappie?
    Like what water temp will they start moving up out of deep water toward the spawning flats?
    What water temp does the spawn start at?
    Ideal spawning spots? Sand? Or what?
    STuff like that. I'm sure theres more people then me in there that is just starting out learning and would like to know all we can find out.

Thanks Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Pete.I"m no expert but here gos! Crappie will start moving into holding areas when the surface temps. reach the hi 40"s. The spawn will start at about 54* with the Males moving in first to search for nesting areas.As the water warms they will become more aggresive.I read somewhere that the spawn can last around 45 days[54*-73*]. The females are only on the nest for 2-3 days.Ideal spots will vary with regions but here there Water Willows ,Hardwoods in water,ect. which are usually in the backs of bays,creeks,ect. . any thing different in the water should also be checked out!Most of the time the biggest fish spawn first. A early warm spell can move fish in early only to go back to holding areas when normal weather comes back!! Hope I"ve helped some!!!
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Dennis that will be a good start.
    PEte

vmantrukiller Guest

I am new to crappie fishing myself and am glad that I found this site. I heard that fishing for crappie after a rain is a bad thing?

Post Thanks / Like

Good thread, I'm interested too.
    What is holding areas?
    FIN

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vmantrukiller
    I am new to crappie fishing myself and am glad that I found this site. I heard that fishing for crappie after a rain is a bad thing?
    Immediately after the rain can be good or bad. If it is a warm rain, it can be good. If it is a cold rain, it probably will be bad. Either way, fishing is usually outsanding just before the rain starts or during the first part of the rain. CEB -

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by FIN
    Good thread, I'm interested too.
    What is holding areas?
    FIN
    FIn, holding areas can be edges of channels leading into creeks,flats,ect. . The closest deep water to spawning areas.
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Pete, here's some reading. I'm not sure just how good is (lol), but some of the articles address the issues you mentioned above:

http://www.familyfishingtrips.com/News.htm
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Understanding the Species

Crappie Fishing - Understanding the Species and how to Fish for them
    I like to crappie fish as well as catfish and I figure if I learn about my prey I have a better chance on catching it.
    Crappie is pronounced “craw-pea”.
    Crappie is related to large mouth bass and blue gill. Crappie are also a member of the sunfish family. If you look at the crappie it has a small looking mouth that can turn into a large mouth. This is for sucking up minnows from a short distant.
    Crappie can see colors very well and because of the sight they will hit verity of colored jigs. Since there sight is important to finding food lets take a close look at it.
    As we all know water filters out colors with red being first and blues and other dark colors being last. As you descend into water the water will look green then blue. So red lures and red hooks are only good for shallower waters. White and black lures are very good for deep fishing. White will reflect any light in dark water that can hit it. Study has shown that the colder the water the more/better a fish can see. This happens because the colder the better the cells in the eyes will work. That would mean they could see your fishing line better also. A lighter mono or fluorocarbon line would be wise to use at this time.
    Crappie activity level have a lot to do with what color of bait is best. If the fish are active colors like red yellow white are good ones to use. The colors will contrast to back ground water color, structure etc. Active crappies will hit on more movement.
    Inactive fish will want greens, blues etc. They will blend into the backgrounds better. To hook an inactive crappie use a slower motion. In cold weather I will use a red and white 1 1/2 “ tube or a silver and black tube thrown along a pier and retrieved slowly as it bumps along the bottom.
    I see no reason to go into habitat because we all know they like structure. I would like to touch on food. Young ones feed on insects, as they grow they start feeding more and more on bait fish. With minnows being there favorite. They will also eat crawfish, maggots etc. Keep in mind that black crappie will continue to eat insects even when there are adults .In the early spring (pre spawn) crappie will form into tight groups that will attack minnows in or around structures.
    Late spring or early summer is when they spawn. Usually in groups with still or slow moving water. They spawn in water deeper than what blue gills do. After spawn the schools will not be as tightly pack. They will spread out to weedy or brushy cover. They will still be in groups though.
    Winter and late fall will see them back in tight schools around structures that are in there comfort zone. They say that if one school of crappie is at 12’ in the winter all the crappie schools will be at 12’ Hum I wonder about that.
    Lets fish
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Darryl. Lots of great info there. And sure will help lots of folks out also.
    Thanks again.
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Morris
    Hey Pete, here's some reading. I'm not sure just how good is (lol), but some of the articles address the issues you mentioned above:

http://www.familyfishingtrips.com/News.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast