Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Trailor Tire Air Pressure

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trailor Tire Air Pressure

Got about a 2000# boat.....tires are ST215 75R14.....what air pressure would you use.....the tire says 50# max cold pressure....I used to run 40#-45#.....the tire dealer said to run 35#.....said any more and the tire would wear out in the middle.....35# seems low to me.....what do you guys do.....also learned something new.....trailor tires are only good for 65 MPH....that got my attention.....
    The "King" is coming
    This could be the Day....
    RETIRED LOUISIANA CRAPPIE HUNTER

Post Thanks / Like

I have always run max pressure without any problems. Most folks are amazed what their rig actually weighs after completely rigged and stocked. Drop by a truck scale and have it weighed.

Heat build up from under inflation and sidewall flex kill trailer tires faster than tread wear. Load rating on the sidewall is rated relative to spec pressure. If you lower the pressure, you can't expect the tire to carry enough load safely. I would rather have the trailer tires properly supporting the load, rather than worrying about how the tire will wear long term.
    "Hello, My name is Bill, and I'm a tackleholic"

Post Thanks / Like

thanks Bill...think I will at least go up to 45
    The "King" is coming
    This could be the Day....
    RETIRED LOUISIANA CRAPPIE HUNTER

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Max air pressure or you could sling the rubber off the tire. Been there and dont that before.:rolleyes:
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

I always run 5# less than max, and that is cold pressure. My trailer is a 1985 and has been to winnepeg canada twice , to truman lake in Missouri and all over wisconsin. Three years ago i moved to toledo bend in LA. I put new tires on for that trip but really did not need to. The boat weighs about 1600#. Second set of bearings and use bearing buddies.

Post Thanks / Like

look at the tread wear you have, if the outer ribs are worn and the center rib is not, you're under inflated. If the center rib is worn and the outer ribs are not, you're over inflated. you want even wear all the way across the tread as much as possible. Running tires at the max psi is not the safest thing to do imo as hitting road debris could cause a blowout with max psi where the more correct psi for the load may allow the tire to absorb the impact and NOT fail. It may damage the tire, but at least you could maybe make it home safely and change the tire at home, rather than on the side of the road. Always check the psi when the tires are cold, use the same guage all the time as they will differ in their readings.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimp View Post
    look at the tread wear you have, if the outer ribs are worn and the center rib is not, you're under inflated. If the center rib is worn and the outer ribs are not, you're over inflated. you want even wear all the way across the tread as much as possible. Running tires at the max psi is not the safest thing to do imo as hitting road debris could cause a blowout with max psi where the more correct psi for the load may allow the tire to absorb the impact and NOT fail. It may damage the tire, but at least you could maybe make it home safely and change the tire at home, rather than on the side of the road. Always check the psi when the tires are cold, use the same guage all the time as they will differ in their readings.
    X2 realise also that your tire takes the place of not having shocks on trailer. Have to have some flex to absorb impact. Max air pressure rating is for loading the tire to its max carring capacity. Check weight rating on side of tire and x 2. think you will find you are plenty good with little lower air pressure than max.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Hey PS,

Why not do what the tire manufactures recommend? You base your air pressure on tire size and load. Here's a link with a chart. In my experience and training, very seldom do you want to fill tires to the max pressure.

On The Wings of Goodyear | RV Tires - Tire Selection - Marathon®

HTH

Jig Rig
    Ephesians 1:13