Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Longline crappie method, new to crappie fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Longline crappie method, new to crappie fishing

I was reading a post and would like to know how to longline for crappie. Any help would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

I am also new and would like to know. most if not all the answers you will get is use the search button. i have used the search button a lot, with it i have learned a lot but there isn't a thread that is simple and a guide on how to long line
    it would be nice if there was a sticky (or whatever the marked threads at the top are called) made just for beginners, there is already a beginners guide to knots, why not make a beginners guide to long lining, spider rigging, and various other techniques (pulling cranks, pushing cranks, beginner baits, beginner poles, etc etc)
    this would greatly reduce the posts of people asking questions about long lining, spider rigging and various other methods.
    i realize its a pain for the knowledgeable folks to keep answering the beginner questions over and over, but unless i over looked it there isnt a good guide to either long lining or spider rigging. i have a general idea of each but no way i could go out and have any idea of what to do.
    sorry if i have overlooked a good guide to either of these techniques, point me to them if i have, if i haven't, maybe someone will take their time to make a good writeup and sticky so there will be no more beginner questions.

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Use different lenght poles lined up to help keep baits seperated...

For example ...14, 12, 10, 8, 6 XX 6, 8, 10, 12, 14 ( XX is the boat)

Rods in front, back, or side is personal preference....

Single or tandem baits per line is personal preference...

Boat speed generally 0.5 - 3.0 mph....

Hi vis line helps being able to see if lines are getting into trouble....

Line size, bait weight. boat speed, and how much line you have out determines how deep baits will run in water column...

Make wide sweeping turns to help avoid tangling....

If not using big motor...put big motor in gear to keep prop from spinning and possible tangling lines...

Troll in areas where you expect crappie to be as dictated here....
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/archi...e-degrees.html
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

thats is very helpful.
    how do most people vary the depth do they change all the factors, or just change the bait size, or just the boat speed? how do you know how deep the lures are running?
    what part of the lake do you focus on? if the water temp is low and you need deep water do you target specific areas, like a creek bed, or old river
    what about when the crappie are pretty shallow?

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Once your boat is set up with rods, holders, GPS, and trolling motor you'll want to start with one jig per line (your choice weight of jig, mine is 1/16th with southern pro curly tail grubs). Start trolling and get your speed up to .8 mph and get 'er steady. I dont use line counter reels so I just give a GOOD cast on each rod, starting on the inner most rod/reel working my way out on each side of the boat. By doing this you can cast to the outside of your last line casted out instead of trying to cast between 2 lines being pulled behind your boat.

Now...start trolling towards the shallow water watching your graph for depth and the GPS for speed. Keep a close eye on the rod tips and keep trolling until you see rods bouncing because the jiga are dragging bottom. That's how you learn how deep your jigs are running. There are many ways to change how deep you can make those same jigs run in different depths. You can shorten or lengthen the amount of line out, slow the boat or speed it up, or go to lighter or heavier jigs (2 jigs per line, adding splitshots also can be done). Also line size makes a difference as heavier line is of larger diameter and lighter line is smaller diameter. I use 6# hi-vis mono on my trolling rods. The high-vis helps you see the line when you need to cast a jig out between your lines after you catch a fish.

My reels are all UL spinning reels and I run the drag pretty loose. Reason for that is when a jig hangs brush/bottom the drag will slip until you get your rod in hand and either straighten the hook or break the line. You cannot stop the boat or all your jigs could hang.

To begin with, I'd say get your boat set up, tool up with rods, reels, and jigs and get on the water. LEARN how deep your jigs runs. Then your next step is going to be finding fish/bait by using your graph in likely places and seeing how deep theyre holding (again, by using the graph), and setting your lines accordingly. Keep in mind...fish feed up, so dont run your jigs 13' deep if the crappie seem to be holding 10' down in 20' of water or you wont be catching many.:rolleyes:

Do your part and get started by getting rigged and ready. Once you begin doing this then be specific as what your questions are about longlining, whether it be the types of rod holders or the positions to place them, kinds of rods, what kinds of GPS, whether youre buying a trolling motor or depth finder and want recommendations, or whatever. Then after getting rigged learn how deep your jigs run and bring back more questions if necessary (and you will have 'em) and I'm sure you'll get all the answers you'll need. And good luck with longlining. Youre gonna LOVE it!
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Strahm View Post
    thats is very helpful.
    how do most people vary the depth do they change all the factors, or just change the bait size, or just the boat speed? how do you know how deep the lures are running?
    what part of the lake do you focus on? if the water temp is low and you need deep water do you target specific areas, like a creek bed, or old river
    what about when the crappie are pretty shallow?
    I'm just learning this tactic myself...but anyway..

The first thing I would do is decide what rig you want to use...single or tandem..then..

Do this experiment before trying to fish....with 1 pole....

Make a long normal cast behind boat while trolling at about 2.0mph in 10ft of water...

Slow the boat down in increments until the bait touches bottom....in this 10 ft zone..

This will tell you exactly what boat speed it takes for your bait to reach a depth of 10 ft...

Do the same experiment in 5 ft, 15 ft, 20 ft of water....

Write these numbers down.....for future reference...Now you know what boat speed it takes for your normal bait rig to reach your target depth for a normal cast behind the boat....

Refer to the "Crappie by Degrees" thread to have a general idea of where to look for fish at the water temp on the day of your fishing...

Find a area similar to what the "Crappie by Degrees" dictates and start trolling that type of area varying your speed of the boat (which varies the depth of the bait) until you start picking up fish.....

Notice what speed your boat is going when you catch a fish and it will give you a good idea of how deep the fish are holding during these particular water conditions..

Now you know how fast to troll to get your baits at a certain depth...and you know about depth the fish are holding....try to stay at that speed and bait depth until the fish quit biting...then...

Either try a different speed to get your baits at a different depth or try a different part of the lake with similar structure as "Crappie by Degrees" dictated...
    ------------—————

Post Thanks / Like

i know im asking questions but i thought i would post this for the original poster, it helped me out, being able to see a diagram of how to put the poles.
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/louis...rod-setup.html

and thank you to rnvinc and gabowman your tips/explanations really helped me out, hopefully it answered the original posters questions too, i didnt want to take over his thread but, i am also new, and been wondering about long lining and haven't found a good explanation using the search function. i think now i am confident enough to go out and try my luck, and learn how to do it with experience.

i will also be researching the various home made rod holders, that i have seen on here. i know its not the prefered method but with my budget theres no way ill be buying hundreds of dollars worth of rod holders.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's my little setup. My boat is kinda small so I sit on the drivers seat (padded cooler with a flip backrest). The GPS is built into my graph on the console so I have to look behind me but that's not really bad. I run my trolling motor by remote (I-pilot). And I fish all my lines off the back of the boat since I usually fish by myself. My rods vary in length from 5 & 1/2' long up to 12' long.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

tmoss and strahm...

Be sure and notice in gabowman's pic that the shorter rods are closest to the motor....and they get longer as they get farther out...

This helps keep lines separated...

Only start out with a few (I'm still using only 4)...and add rods as you get more confident....
    ------------—————

Post Thanks / Like

I want to thank you guys for this info. It will help a bunch. Can't wait to get out there and catch some crappie. THANKS AGAIN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast