Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: waders

Post Thanks / Like

Default waders

I am looking for recommendations on a decent pair of waders. I'd like to stay under $150-200 at most. Comfort in spring midwest weather is most important. I will be traveling by canoe alot, so sitting position comfort is also important.
    look me up on facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/profile.php?id=1491513101

Post Thanks / Like

you'll probably get all kinds of answers on that. there are so many variables. there are breathable waders which fit real loose and neoprene what fit tight and will even float you if you fall in but i wouldn't depend on them as a life preserver. it depends on how tough you want them. for 200.00 or a few dollars over you can get the best with lots of insulation in the feet. or go down in insulation and get good boots for 150.00. find or look online at cablea's and or bass pro. look in the bargin deals because this time of the year they are clearing out or putting waders on sale. wingsupply.com is another place that might have waders on clearance. they are good people to deal with too. i've not had them but people say that cabela's stands behind theirs better than others. lacross, hodgman are two of the top brands. if you go neoprene get the 5 mil instead of the 3 mil. buy a good pair and take care of them and they should last a few years. 3 to 5 years is normal if you don't tear a hole in them.

Post Thanks / Like

Cabela's: Men's Hunting Waders

there are the waders on sale now at cabela's. as i said, you picked a good time to buy waders. the neoprene will be from warm to hot in the summer but you can go down to even just underwear in them to stay cooler. it all depends on what you want them for. i never had stocking feet waders and never had use for them because i hunted in mine.

Post Thanks / Like

Old gave you very good advice. I use LaCrosse and have had good luck with them. Cabela's have a good wader and a better return policy, I have heard. Hodgman's been around forever and make a good wader, so does Mack's Prairie Wings-all on hearsay I've not had any of them.

You want to watch wearing waders in something that's known to be easy to flip. Definitely wear a life jacket. Waders are great until they fill with water, and that's all I got to say about that. LOL

I assume you want them on to be able to get out and drag your rig through shallows, so you are probably going to want something rather thin that don't bunch. On me, the 5mm's bunch up a little, but are the warmest by far. The 3 mm's are flexible and you can put on some fleece wader liners, and add silk longhandles under that if real cool, and be almost as warm as the 5's. Of course how warm you stay will depend on how long you're in the water too. When you're in the boat sit on a throwable foam seat cushion, or something similar, to insulate yourself from the boat/water and you'll stay a lot warmer.

I've never had a pair of breathables, they say they are nice. Torch or some guys from further South might be able to help with those. fwiw

Post Thanks / Like

Just my 2 cents but for comfort look into the waist waders..Cabelas or Mack's Prairie Wing have the best selection. Own several pair and use them throughout the Duck season up here.
    "Guns have only two enemies rust and politicians."

Post Thanks / Like

You won't catch me in a canoe even without waders.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a pair of neoprene waders but haven't used them in years. Most fly fisherman have gone over to breathables. I usually wear a pair of Orvis breathable waders. They're good in the summer, as is. If it's cold, I just wear layers underneath. I fished out in Utah a few weeks ago in breathables. Air temps were 10-20 degrees. Water temp was around 40, and we were wading. I stayed warm and dry.

I think I paid about $170 for my Orvis waders. Check Cabela's and Bass Pro, though. They sell their own house brand of breathables.

Post Thanks / Like

I hunt with cabelas waders 60 plus days a year waterfowling. I can honestly say that they have the best return policy. They have a year warranty but i have punched a hole in mine or had a stitch start to come loose and send them in three years after purchasing and they give you a really reasonable credit or replace them. Cabelas will stand behind any wader with there name on it you just choose the model that fits your needs.

Post Thanks / Like

+2 on the orvis breathable waders

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the info. And i didn't think about what would happen if I tipped while wearing them! I was thinking about just going with hip waders but realized that chest waders would be more useful. Will cabelas or BP let you try them on? Leaning towards cabelas breathables but haven't looked into orvis yet.
    look me up on facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/profile.php?id=1491513101

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast