Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Onboard charger?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Onboard charger?

Going to order one tonight and want some input. I have one trolling bat. and one cranking/acc. bat. I am looking at the BPS XPS i 4/4. Would this be a good charger to maintain a good charge on my bat.?

Post Thanks / Like

I have one on my boat. Same set up as you with one trolling battery and one cranking battery. Never had any problems with the charger. It is much more convenient than using a regular charger that I have to drag out and hook up each time. I just plug in each time I come in from fishing and leave it that way until I get ready to go out again. The chargers smart enough to keep the batteries topped off without over charging.
    I love the convenience of the onboard charger and can't dream of using anything else now that I have gotten use to it.:D

Post Thanks / Like

Does the charger charge your batteries while you are on the water?

Post Thanks / Like

The onboard charger will only charge while plugged into a wall outlet.

Post Thanks / Like

You may want to do some reserch on this board on which on-board charger to buy. I have seen some reports of problems with the charger you mentioned on this board. I have seen some good reports on other brands of chargers. I am considering buying a on-board charger myself and want to buy a good one.

Post Thanks / Like

Had the BPS XPS 5/5 myself. It worked for 6 months then damaged both my new batteries. BPS gave me in store credit with no questions asked, but my next one will be a better brand. I've talked to several people with the same experience. Also, I would consider one with more amps like a 10/10 or 20 on demand..... I have heard they are better for your batteries.

It seemed like my 5/5 never really got the batteries completely charged. When I changed to a 30 amp portable, my charged batteries sure seemed to last alot longer.

Just my 2 cents worth.....

Post Thanks / Like

What about a Minn Kota 220? It has 10 amps per bank. Heard anything about them, good or bad?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by justfish
    What about a Minn Kota 220? It has 10 amps per bank. Heard anything about them, good or bad?
    I've heard good things about them. There is also a $25 rebate on them right now. Make sure you have room for it on your boat, because it is rather bulky and not as slim line as some of the others.

I have also heard good things about ProMariner ProSport and it is "on demand". If one battery is full and the other one needs a charge, it gives the whole 20 amps to that battery.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...rTarget=browse

If anybody else has heard things about the ProSport, I would be interested in that feed back...... it is the next one that I am considering.

Post Thanks / Like

i had a bps SPS 10/10 that burned out in less than a year. ive sent it in for replacement. it had a 2 yr gurantee. you can upgrade those chargers if you want. they are made by promariner and they have several grades of charger. i bought the cheaper model and it was shot within a year. i replaced that charger with a dual pro se 10/10. its got a 3 year gurantee. If pro mariner replaces the bad charger, ill use it for a spare or send it back in for a upgrade and get a model with a lifetime gurantee. If you plan on using your charger a lot be sure to get a good one with a good gurantee. any chargers i replace in the future will have a life time gurantee. im sick of messing with chargers that dont hold up. i have 3 onboard chargers on my boat. i carry 5 batts. 4 deep cycles and one cranking. i have a on board on the front for the two batts there, one at the rear for the two deep cycles there and one hooked up to the cranking bat. you aint saving money by buyin a cheap charger.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

I fish with several guys (4 Boats) We all run Guest brand on board chargers and none have given any problems. What ever charger you buy I would at least buy one with a minimum of ten amps per bank.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast