Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On average how many fish do you keep?

Post Thanks / Like

Default On average how many fish do you keep?

On another post it is being discussed, what creel limits are or should be. It brought to mind this question. On average how many fish do you keep? I know in the waters I fish in NC there is great potential for limiting out(which is 30 fish a day), the total possesion I'm not sure of . Mainly because I never get close to the possesion totals. I usually only keep crappie if I'm ready to eat them soon and because of that I don't keep crappie unless they are 12 inches or better, not a law or a suggestion, just my preference.
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Default maxium allowed

We eat fish on average twice a week and give family and friends a few. Not to mention regular fish frys in the warm months. The legal limit in our side on Arkansas is 20 per person per day or 2 days possession limit.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

depends on the situation - if I got time to clean them and the freezer is low I will keep my limit - if I got fish in the freezer I will only keep the ones that swallow the hook and would not live anyway - or if I am going down to the on-laws I will keep a mess to fry up fresh - do a lot of releasing if I don't have time to clean a bunch of fish
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say, I fish almost daily and most of the time I don't keep/catch anywhere near the limit. Heres an example, the past week of fishing for me. Starting friday 1 wk. ago.. Fri.-11 fish, Sat.-did'nt go, Sun.- did'nt go, Mon.- 13 fish, Tues.- 2 fish, Wed.-2 fish, Thurs.-9 fish, Fri.-13 fish.
    I don't keep any fish smaller than 10 inches, most days I only keep 11-12 inchers or better (personal preference). I don't fish for numbers, I fish for the enjoyment that I get out of it and the occasional wonderful meal of crappie filets and hush puppies.

Right at this time I have 3 quart bags of fish in my freezer,, we seem to eat them up about as fast as I catch them. We invitie friends or family over for a fish fry on the weekends and we also eat them at least once a week, sometimes more.
    Last edited by stickum; 02-24-2006 at 08:47 PM.
    James 1:22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves. 23 For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass: (KJV)

Post Thanks / Like

Never more than twelve; usually half that. Even six good size crappie makes two meals for the two of us. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

About 8 to 10 is all i usally catch or keep.....at least im a small guy dont take much to feed me

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Depends on how empty my freezer is. If I have plenty, I don't keep any.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

It depends on who is eating with me. If it is just me and my wife 3 or 4 slabs will feed us with leftovers. If I have extended family and friends- usually 10-15 fish. The fish just don't taste the same after they are frozen awhile.

Post Thanks / Like

If I am going to keep fish because the freezer is getting low, I usually keep between 6 and 12. If I have fewer than 6 keepers (10" or better) when it comes time to leave, I release them all rather than just keep a couple. My upper limit is just when I start getting tired of cleaning fish and it also gives me an excuse to go out to restock the freezer more often.
    Keith
    2008 NWR Bash Crappie Champion
    2010 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2010 Buggs Bash Smallest Crappie Award

Post Thanks / Like

I personally don't eat fish that often but alway's keep my limit if possible because there are several older people around town that can't fish anymore but still love the taste of crappie fillet's.It is a good feeling to see the smile on their face's when i pull in their driveway.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast