Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Nylon or Poly anchor line: What's your flavor?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Nylon or Poly anchor line: What's your flavor?

Howdy,

I had a twisted polypropylene line I was using originally but the sorry thing would untwist and get hung in my swivel pulley so I got rid of it and got a braided nylon line. The nylon line would not hold in my anchor lock so I'm back to a poly line but this time I got a braided instead of a twisted one . Here's hoping:D .

What's your experience with anchor lines and your favorite: nylon or poly, braided or twisted?
    Last edited by dixieangler; 02-24-2006 at 07:29 PM.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Post Thanks / Like

I hate poly line. I always use fullbraided nylon. I'm surprised you have slippage with nylon. I always thought poly was slipperier. The only advantages of poly are cost and it floats. Nylon is stronger and more durable and more flexible and softer on the hand. Make sure your lock is set up right and there is no oil on your stuff. Also make sure you are using the right diameter rope for the lock.
    Sorry for my Crappie attitude.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep. I just checked with a customer rep. for my anchor lock. Guess I'll have to find some 1/2 inch diameter line somewhere since the 1/4 inch isn't holding.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Post Thanks / Like

I like braided nylon as well - of course I got a friend who is constanly going to auctions and salvage sales and he brought home 5000 feet of 3/8" poly rope - he has little use for it but he got it $5 - he told me to use all I wanted - so I got some new mooring lines and I fixed me a long anchor line for saltwater now
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I have 350 ft of 1/2" braded nylon. just take a big snap and stick my rope through it and then the snap back through that. Lets me put the snap on the rope anywhere I need it and just snap it on the front of the boat.
    PEte