Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mississippi Proposes Transport Limits for Fish

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mississippi Proposes Transport Limits for Fish

In an effort to address concerns about transporting creel limits of fish the Commission on Wildlife Fisheries and Parks, at their February 21, 2006 meeting adopted the following Public Notice of Intent. Persons wishing to comment on this proposed action may do so in writing to the Executive Director, Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks, 1505 Eastover Drive, Jackson, MS 39211 no later than March 21, 2006.

"No person shall take in any one calendar day, no more than the daily creel or bag limit of game fish. No person shall at any time, by any means, or in any manner, transport more than seven (7) daily creel or bag limits of game fish for each person present in a vehicle. A single angler may only transport his or her own limit(s) of game fish not to exceed seven (7) daily limits."

Since the daily limit on crappie is 30 per person per day, no one transport more than 210 crappie and those need to be caught in no less than 7 days.

Post Thanks / Like

Pardon me please, but I don't understand. What's wrong with that? I don't read anything in what you wrote about having to be within seven days, just that the transport limit is equivalant to seven days creel. I don't know about everyone else, but I agree. I'm not from Miss., but NC has similar laws. I know guys who take as many fish as they can catch regardless and I frankly find it unsportsman like. On a lighter side, If one man needs more than 210 fish at one time, he might need to go get checked for mercury poisoning. Just my opinion.
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day

Post Thanks / Like

15 a day- 30 in posession in Mo. Does'nt matter if it's 2 days or 7 it's 30 total. Ya'll got some pretty liberal limits...izzy

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Arkansas limits are 15,20 or 30 a day depending where you fish. Possession limit is 2 limits period . Man yall have some liberal limits. Who needs that many fish ?
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

I've always wondered how these laws are applied. I wonder what someone would do if they went down to Mississippi for a week-long fishin trip. Say they wanted to save all their catch to take home to mamma and the kids. Then say they knocked a home run every day of their trip (limited out). Sounds like they'd be legal to transport in MS as long as they never caught 31. But not if they fished one day more. What would happen when they hit the state line? Do these type laws include fish that are already cleaned? frozen?

What if Bubba wanted to have a fish fry on his wedding day? Say he was saving papermouths in his freezer and had more than 7 days worth of limits (all caught legally) saved up. Then his landlord notified him he would not renew his lease. Bubba must move. I guess the fish could be transported in multiple trips. But, is that necessary?

Post Thanks / Like

Default sounds ok to this ms boy

That sounds fair to me thats fairly liberal, and frankly i think they are trying to protect the crappie fisheries in the state. I dought that any other lakes in the country receive the pressure that arkabutla, sardis, enid, grenada and tunica get specifically targeting crappie. Besides this they mainly use these types of transport laws to "catch" the fish bandits. I now of an instance where mwfp caught a commercial fisherman selling crappie. you can do some serious damage with a hoop net. My daily bag limit on Tunica is 50 because ms recipircates arkansas' laws concerning the big river. even elsewhere i think 30 a day is fair and if you need to transport that many fish x7 in one trip you've got something else beside sport in mind.
    Jlawhorn

Mallards Wild Guide Service

Tunica, Mississippi

Post Thanks / Like

Good comments.

Post Thanks / Like

The limit is 50 on waters that boarder Louisiana...I didn't know the limit was 50 in Arkansas too??!!

Either way, you can now have over 400 filets in your possession...Just make sure it ain't when your pulling back up to the boat ramp after a day on the water...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by izzysfishin
    15 a day- 30 in posession in Mo. Does'nt matter if it's 2 days or 7 it's 30 total. Ya'll got some pretty liberal limits...izzy

Izzy,

I’m not trying to argue with you, but it was my understanding that the Missouri daily limit was 30 expect on certain lakes then it drop to 15. And I didn’t find a possession limit; I always assumed that possession was twice the daily limit. If you look at the hunting limits there is a “daily” limit and a “possession” limit, on the fishing side of the codes there is only a “daily” limit. My question now is, is there a possession limit on fish? I’ve wanted to write the Conservation about a couple questions I needed clarified on some hunting regulations I think I will ask this also.

may your livewells stay full, and your rods stay bent.

Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Mississippi does not have a possession limit on fish. Just don't exceed the daily limit for any particular species when you are on the water or at the ramp.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast