Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Wind question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wind question

I posted this on Louisiana board then thought I should ask it to everyone. :D

OK folks...let me ask a dumb question.
    If you were the only boat on a tree lined canal. And the canal made a 90 deg turn. On each side of the turn were lay downs that were exactly the same, branches, water depth (6 ft or more), etc.
    Say a stiff wind was blowing down one side of the canal but not around the corner.

Would the wind effect the bite? Would you have better luck in the wind...out of the wind...only effects the surface not the fish below?

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I would have to try it all and let the fish tell me.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I have always been told that a long sustained wind will drive the baitfish, so you would want to fish the wind driven bank.

snake River is offline Crappie.com 2010 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

most likely the wind would not affect your bite but sure hi and Lo pressures will or should I say if you're barometer goes up or down.

www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

Let the wind be your friend.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Gator ....

Quote Originally Posted by Gator Bait View Post
    I posted this on Louisiana board then thought I should ask it to everyone. :D

OK folks...let me ask a dumb question.
    If you were the only boat on a tree lined canal. And the canal made a 90 deg turn. On each side of the turn were lay downs that were exactly the same, branches, water depth (6 ft or more), etc.
    Say a stiff wind was blowing down one side of the canal but not around the corner.

Would the wind effect the bite? Would you have better luck in the wind...out of the wind...only effects the surface not the fish below?
    It's my understanding that "wind driven current" pushes plankton ... this necessitates the baitfish, which are plankton eaters, to follow (they're not actually being "blown" along with the wind ) ... & fish know this, and set themselves up to intercept the baitfish (when they're feeding). They would likely be on the downwind side of any cover, as they would be on the down current side of cover. This allows them to have the cover to block or decrease any current, making it easier for them to maintain their position .... plus, it sets it up so that the current (wind driven or not) will bring the foodsource to them, rather than them having to go chase after it. Crappie are ambush predators ... using stealth, rather than speed ... and using the shade that cover provides, to camoflauge themselves (along with their respective markings).

With that in mind :
    Would the wind affect the bite ? --- yes, directly & indirectly. (as explained, above)

Would you have better luck in the wind ? out of the wind ? --- Depends on how well you can present your bait, what method you're using, and how the wind affects those factors. Given the situation, as you describe it ... I'd probably set up on the inside point, around the corner & out of the wind, and fish the cover where the wind driven eddy water was circulating around the trees.
    Bare in mind, of course, that I'm primarily a jig slinger :p ... so I'm thinking in those terms (as far as how I'd present the bait, and how I'd locate my position relevant to the wind).

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Wind bothers fishermen more than fish. I always fish the windy bank to start. That said, in larger deeper lakes in the summer where the wind has been blowing for a few days, I'll fish the windless side, especially for stripers. The windless side will have an "upwelling" of colder water that will draw certain species shallow to feed.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fished-out View Post
    Wind bothers fishermen more than fish.
    I agree....it usually keeps me at the house.:rolleyes::D
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

If the wind has been blowing for a few days I agree that the crappie will be holding on the downriver side of structure. If there is a point that comes out into the river at the bend (most times there is) I would fish the downriver side of the point before the trees or lay downs.
    Last edited by STUMP HUNTER; 02-09-2011 at 09:18 AM.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

My experience has always been the crappie are facing into the wind, so bring your bait with it and at the same speed if possible to get the bites.
    "Never Fry Bacon Naked"