Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Pee Wee Alibis will pay 1.00 ea for 100

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking for Pee Wee Alibis will pay 1.00 ea for 100

I am looking for the old pee wees from the 60s & 70s. They were very small jigs " maybe 1/64" with a plastic skirt around the body & a super strong hook. I think they were made by the Betts Co. I would like to puchase up to 100 or so of the red head & white body, 50 of the all yellow. They are killers for speckled trout in the back creeks that I fish. If anyone has any infro about these, please let me know. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

do you have a pic? some of us could recreate these for you...

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Check this thread out : http://www.crappie.com/crappie/south...libi-what.html

(note : the first link in "gcromer" reply post does not work ... but second link does provide a picture. Also note that his thread is from 2008)

And I agree with PBUG ... I'm sure our jig tying members could duplicate the feathered version. The rubber bodied one looks to be a cylindrical shaped head with a heavy guage hook, with a spinnerbait skirt attached. That shouldn't be too hard to duplicate, either ... provided you can find the right sized spinnerbait skirt for such a small jighead.

Even so ... our jig tying & plastics pouring members are talented, and some of them do like a challenge !!

... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

what is that body made out of? it looks like a small peice of rabbit hide or something. Hey Troutfishrps, if you still have'nt found someone to make you the jigs, i might be able to help.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like tube jigs tied and then dipped in some kind of plastic. Maybe reheated old tube jig skirts. The strips are tanned thin leather to me. Kinda neat.

Name:  No%20Alibi%20jig.jpg
Views: 1655
Size:  46.8 KB
    Life is Good !
    2018 Kentucky & Tennessee Crappie Masters State Champs!

Post Thanks / Like

Pounded Google for ya troutfishrps. Came up with a couple things. Mainly that what you referred to as a Pee-Wee or an Alibi may not be what others think of. Those names have morphed from product specific names to category names kinda like Xerox or "twister tail"

Hodge: Lure of Doll Fly: Thompson's bread, butter » Knoxville News Sentinel

Feathered Jig Is Good For Crappie - Orlando Sentinel

JOHN C. KREMER

Feather Yellow

Those links along with the old thread here should help you on your search. That said... you'd be lucky to pay a dollar each for them as scarce as these things seem to be.

Now I know for a fact that the jigs in post #5 "can" be duplicated. I've seen the head in an ancient mold catalog somewhere. Gotta find someone with that mold, have a new one cut or settle for something close.
    Now the fun/scary part. If you have a sample of each jig you'll need to send it off to someone to reverse engineer what the materials are and how its constructed. Often times this may require dismantling the jig but, not in this case since the head was so easy to ID. Looks like a plastic shield was tied around the threads on the yellow hair jig. This is straight out of the old C. Boyd Pfeiffer tackle making book. The other body looks tougher to decipher. No doubt the guys over on the jig-tying forum and plastics forum can handle these.
    pour'em-paint'em-tie'em-fish'em-stick'em-fry'em!

Post Thanks / Like

Sir, Thanks so much for the pics! The red head w/ the yellow feather and the Rooty Tooty "if it had a white feather" look just like the old Pee Wees we used back in the 70s! Even the hooks look right! The weight & design of this jig was so perfect! Using 6 pd. test line, we could slow troll just the jig "w/ no weights or corks attached" a long distance from the boat "because Specks are shy" and it would stay very close to the bottom in 3 to 4 ft of water without dragging across it. The Specks loved it!
    I would love to have about 50 of the red head w/ a yellow feather and 100 of the red head w/ a white feather! I had a orange head w/ a black feather put up around here somewhere! I'll try to find it and post a pic. It was still new in the package and the best that I remember, it had the Betts Co. w/ a Florida address on it. Thanks for the help!!

Post Thanks / Like

Check your PM Troutfishrps

Post Thanks / Like

These are available through Shannon Lures/Dragon Fly, Sumter SC (803) 469-0906 under "Teeny Boppers." All the old color standards like the Pee Wee Alibis, Bett's Pea Jigs tied on Mustad shanks.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Note: This thread is about 2½ years old.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast