Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are private messages private?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Are private messages private?

I'm curious to know if private messages can be read by moderators and/or Slab.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I know for sure that moderators and super moderators cannot read them. And we cannot even provide a link to one. The only way I could show you one of mine is to do a copy and paste. I think that would work.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

backtocrappie is offline Moderator OT Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm.. what reassuring words are there for this one? In all my time of messing around with forums as a mod and or admin, I've never seen where anyone but the sender and recipient could read the message.
    "We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good"
    Sen. Hillary Clinton - Speech at Democratic Fundraiser, June 2004

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Private messages are just that PRIVATE. However Visitor messages are public and unless you delete them anyone can go to your profile and read them.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

I only had access to my own private messages when I was moderator. I would never think of reading messages for others even if I had access to them.
    Keith
    2008 NWR Bash Crappie Champion
    2010 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2010 Buggs Bash Smallest Crappie Award

Post Thanks / Like

For your information, I have access to the data base, I can get at anything. But you need to know it's near impossible to dig through it. You also need to know Email on any server, or at any company is the same way. Don't type anything on a computer that you want to keep 100% private, unless you are a security administrator and write your own security algorithms.

I've received questions via email about this topic over the recent events here on Crappie.com because PMs were seemingly edited. If I "censor" a word, or a url, it's censored automatically everywhere, in PMs as well. So no, I am not reading and editing PMs, but please realize it's not private, private. It's all somewhere in the data base, and that holds true on any forum you join, public or private.

And anyone is welcome to PM me issues or concerns. I've always been accessible, you know that.
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best

Post Thanks / Like

Tap,during the voting for chick lake bash I clicked on poll results which showed who voted for what date.while there i clicked on percs name and read a pm i had sent him.i was able to edit it,my address and phone #.then clicked on a couple others and read several pm.did not realize at first prolly should not be reading them.I have not tried it since then and not sure whats up with it.Being new and sorta dumb I dint think much about it.
    Last edited by fatslab; 02-06-2011 at 07:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fatslab View Post
    Tap,during the voting for chick lake bash I clicked on poll results which showed who voted for what date.while there i clicked on percs name and read a pm i had sent him.i was able to edit it,my address and phone #.then clicked on a couple others and read several pm.did not realize at first prolly should not be reading them.
    Are you sure you were not viewing the PUBLIC Visitor Messages?
    Keith
    2008 NWR Bash Crappie Champion
    2010 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2010 Buggs Bash Smallest Crappie Award

Post Thanks / Like

Panman I was viewing the colored graphs with the members names showing what date they voted for.I was just learning how to pm and had sent one to Percidae with my address and phone #.when I clicked on Perc. under the colored graph I saw the pm I had sent him.I was able to edit it and removed my info.I checked a couple more members and read several pm.Thats the best I can explain it.

Post Thanks / Like

Amazing, isn't it?
    Don't outsmart your common sense!
    Jack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast