Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Rookie needs help

72shorty Guest

Question Rookie needs help

I have been an avid hunter since I was a small boy. Quail, pheasant, turkey and deer...rifle, shotgun and bow. However, other than owning a snoopy rod & reel and an old zebco 202 when I was a small boy, I have never fished. My family and I love the taste of crappie and my wife is asking, can you believe that, she is asking that I take up crappie fishing. The best thing yet is that she and the kids want to fish too. So, of course I have to do what's best for the family. :D However, there is one small problem...I have no idea of where to start, how to fish and don't even own a rod, reel or lure of any kind. I live 5 mins from James A Reed Wildlife area in SE Jackson County Missouri and have access to some good fishing holes in Ray County Missouri where I'm from. Can anyone here help me to get started and educated?

Thanks in advance!!

Post Thanks / Like

The quickest and best thing you can do if you want to put up the cash is get a guide and while you are out with him ask questions and make him expain what and why he is doing things the way he is.

Post Thanks / Like

72shorty,

I have a good friend that is a guide down at Truman Lake. His name is Richard and he works out of Bucksaw Marina (www.bucksawmarina.com). If you want to learn how to crappie fish and what equipment to use he can help you out. Hope that this helps. I'll tell you this once you start crappie fishing you'll never want to stop. Good luck.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

First things first, you've gotta get a good rod, reel, and terminal tackle (hooks, sinkers, floats, etc). I'm a big fan of spinning reels (also called open faced reels) because you can cast them pretty far with very little weight. A 6 foot 6 inch medium or light action rod is a pretty versatile rod.

Whether you get a spinning reel, or another zebco reel, make sure the line weight isn't very heavy. When I crappie fish, I generally use 4 or 6lb test line. The small bb split shot works well for me for weight, and I usually go w/ a small thin wire hook to hook the minnow behind the dorsal fin. I finish up this presentation w/ a pencil or stick type bobber.

Walmart usually sells a "panfish" kit which includeds bobbers, hooks, sinkers, and even a stringer to put the fish on. That's always a good start. Good luck, and the main thing is, don't hesitate to ask questions.
    Fish on!:D

3 Bald Stooges of Percy Priest Lake - Co Founder

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey shorty

Last year this time I knew nothing about crappie fishing. Here is what I did. Yeah if got 150-200 for a guide go for it if not do this. Get you a rod, floaters, & #2 aberwhatever hooks, the long gold hooks. The crappie are about to start spawning in about a month, so they will be easier to catch. If you see people under bridges fishing with floats they are probably fishing for crappie.

Stop and ask them what they are fishing for, lures are nice but starting out use minnows.

Be patient you might go out several times before catching some but if you keep at you will.

I went out about four or five times before I caught my first crappie. Take some crickets for your kids so they can catch some brimm, and shell cracker.

Good luck and God Bless
    Love, what more can I say

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie fishin is a GREAT family sport good fun and good food, it can get expensive.

Post Thanks / Like

Shorty,if you ever get to lake of the ozarks and want to learn a little about crappie fishin let me know,i enjoy helping people that want to learn about crappie fishing especially if their children are interested as well and the best part is it wont cost you a thing i fish all the time anyway.Loz is different than any of the lake's close to you but if you get the basic's you'll be able to apply them to the lake's you plan to fish.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

72shorty Guest

Thanks guys. Can you all recommend a decent, inexpensive rod/reel? Is WalMart the way to go?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

walmart is fine - if you are close to bass pro shop you can start out there as well - the wally marshall spinning reels are inexpensive and work good - I would go fo rhte less expensive rods as well to begin with as well - if you are hooked and you more than likely will be you can always start upgrading your equipment and get some more specific equipment for different methods of fishing - good luck - you are probably going be addicted soon
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, Wal-mart. Just grab a Zebco 33 rod and reel combo or 2 or 3... Some of them come with a starter kit. Which will do exactly that. They are already spooled with line, so all you'll need is a styrofoam minnow buck, minnows, and something to put your fish in or a stringer. Set your rods up before you go, especially with kids. You'll want them to have a rod in hand without waiting on the rigging. Fish'n ain't hard, sometimes catching is... Take your time and have fun the best way to learn is by accident, but you can't accidentily catch a fish sitting at home trying to figure them out. Try to make it as pleasant and fun with the children. Your lack of knowledge, while trying to get a child to fish may be difficult. Just remember everyone should enjoy themselves.
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day