Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rod length for spider rigging.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rod length for spider rigging.

Ok, fellows this may sound like a dumb question but, here goes nothing. I have 10',11' 12' footers jigging rods. My question is if I wanted a 14' rod the only ones' I have seen are for trolling. I found the Capps & Coleman 14' foot trolling rods would these work for spider rigging as well. Just needing some information before I place my order.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes I use my B'n'M ProTrollers for spider rigging.....some times I use my other jigging poles. I use all 12 ft. poles when I spider rig. A lot of the folks use the B'n'M 14 ft. Capps and Coleman poles for spider rigging....thats what they are designed for....slow verticle trolling.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Many people use their jigging poles for trolling in a spider rig set up. One popular pole, the B & M BGJP can be used for both but is very popular when used for trolling. As you know, the "spider rig" is nothing more than a pole hoder normally on the end of the boat that fans the poles over a wide area. Capps and Colemans are very good if you don't require heavy weights in your area. I wouldn't go over one ounce and suggest 1/4's or 1/2's if you can get away with it.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM TWEENER!
    Member of Tri-State Crappie Anglers

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, what they said.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

The only time I find a disadvantage in the longer poles is when spider riggin shallower water ....less than 10 ft....

When a fish is caught... you either have to release the bail or stick the rod butt behind you to reach the fish....
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

Actually the longer rod is an advantage in shallow water because you don't spook the fish as easily. Just let some line out once you get the fish to the surface and ease him into the net.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM TWEENER!
    Member of Tri-State Crappie Anglers

Post Thanks / Like

Kinda good subject here; i was thinking of asking, is there any real major advantage with 12 ft rods over the ten ft rods i use now?
    Formally: BoxingRef_Rick.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boxingref_rick View Post
    Kinda good subject here; i was thinking of asking, is there any real major advantage with 12 ft rods over the ten ft rods i use now?
    Not really, just gets the lure a little furtherfrom the trolling motor sounds.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    Sales and service on Directv and Wildblue internet
    Owner of Sickle Jigs.
    Slab Bandit Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I personally like the 14' poles myself. You can get the rod tips spaced apart farther so you have less tangles. Also in shallow water you don't spook fish with the boat but you need to have an extended net. ( EGO Reach.)
    As far as B'n'M poles I like the prostaff trolling rod. I also like the Wally Marshall signature series now they have a new name but I can't remember what it is?
    Capps and Coleman rods are real flimsy so they really bend with anything over 1/2 ounce. They however really like that style of pole and they are the 7 time world champs so really what do I know??? LOL!
    I do highly recommed going with the 14' pole. Just my opinion though.
    Tom Hankins
    Lake Fork Trophy Lures
    Whisker Seeker Tackle
    Moss Back Fish Rack
    Cumberland Crappie
    G3 Boats

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the information folks. I think that I'll order some more 12' rods. Think I'll order some from BNM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast