Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Jackfish in Chicot?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jackfish in Chicot?

Anyone know if there are any decent-sized jackfish (Pickerel) in Lake Chicot? I've heard conflicting reports.
    Appreciate the info.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Pete years ago I caught them in chicot, and some BIG ones..... I fish chicot hard these days and havent seen one in 10 yrs or so....

However cocodrie lake right up the road has an abundance of jack fish and Grinnel in it....

Post Thanks / Like

Those jack fish are MEAN! I don't know about Chicot but there used to be some "biguns" in Lake D'Arbonne. They would put up one heck of a fight too right after they tried to completely destroy your spinnerbait or crankbait. I heard that they are no good for eating though, unless you like to eat a lot of little bones.
    The Lord is good. His mercy and love endures forever.

Post Thanks / Like

Appreciate the scoop.
    Yeah, Pastor, I've caught a ton of 'em in Dorcheat/Bistineau and Caddo - was just wondering if they lived this far south. I recall they like the cold weather - this might be a good time to throw a fly at 'em!

BW, that's about what I've heard. Might just have to tote my canoe a little further north and try Cocodrie. Looks like my spots in Rockefeller are going to be inaccessible for a while after the first of March.
    Thanks again.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

I grew up fishing Cocodrie Lake. It use to be full of jackfish. The best place was the far upper end in spring creek. If the bass weren't biting we would go up in spring creek and fish for jackfish. It was nothing to catch 20 or 30 in a morning. Thats what happened to all my old Heddon wooden baits. Wish I still had them.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Tiger - I have already scoped out my map and will try to head up there just after the first of March. Ardes Johnson's top fly-caught fish has just been begging to get bumped!
    Electric chicken flies ought to do the trick!
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Pete at cocodrie it is the norm to catch 6-8 jackfish to 1 bass... There are plenty of them. Last bass trip I made there between the jacks, choupiqe and wasp infested duck blinds I lost 6 white and chartruse spinnerbaits......

Post Thanks / Like

Guess I'd better tie plenty of flies then...
    And stay away from the duck blinds!
    Chartreuse and white, huh - same dog that bit so well down around Venice! On bass, anyway.
    And specks - and reds - and flounders - and king mackerel, among others.
    Thanks BW, I owe you one.

Post Thanks / Like

Was planning a family outing to Chicot in the spring. I might have to drag along the kayak. I've been wanting to get on one of those bad boys. On the fly makes it all that more exciting. Wonder how a 5 wt would stand up. Think I'd need an 8? I've landed some big reds on an 8 so I can't imagine needing that.
    The fish are biting somewhere and here I am on the computer again...

Post Thanks / Like

Your welcome Pete. If you get up this way, I can take you and show you around.