Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Powder Paint Fluid Bed Project Questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Powder Paint Fluid Bed Project Questions

I'm building a powder paint fluid bed and have a couple of questions. The design I'm using has a 3" PVC base, 3" to 2" reducer, 2" cups.

1. What is the best length of cup to use? The plans I've seen say to use anywhere from 2 3/4" to 4". I don't have any plans to paint anything except jig heads. I was thinking I would try 3" but thought I would ask around to see what everyone else uses. I don't want it any deeper than necessary to keep the amount of paint in the cup to a minimum and to make it easier to dip jigs. But I also want it tall enough keep any excess paint from flying out of the cup. Recommendations?

2. The little 2 oz cups of paint probably are not going to cut it anymore. I would like to find larger and more economical containers. Harbor Freight carries some in 16 oz containers for 4.99 but I think they only have a few basic colors. (red, black, white, etc.) Has anyone tried their paint? Other suggestion?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by FAADAN; 02-04-2011 at 09:38 PM.

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it was MO Qwack that had made a couple of them and posted a while back. He had one that he made for his dad I think it was. It was really cool and had a nice base that he added pictures. I know that is not what you are looking for from your questions but he may chime in and help you with your questions. I would check Barlows or Crazy Angler to try and find the bulk powder paint.

Depends on the season. but between Warrensburg Mo and south Louisiana is a good place to look
    Post Thanks / Like

I can help, I think lol the cup size depends on the powder. Different powder and colors " float" higher or lower I start at 4 inches and cut it from there. You want it to boil just at the top. The internet is the best place to find powder. You can get good powder cheap even if you have to buy little more than you need the price is worth it. They have 1000s of colors just google powder paint. Harbor freights powders not bad just make sure it's glossy. If you have any questions just ask. Im by no means an expert but I have made a few different versions from basic to ticked out

In our government-controlled schools we are taught that Lincoln was our greatest president because his war ended slavery and saved the Union. As usual, the other side of the story – the side that reflects poorly on the government – somehow gets lost. – Richard J. Maybury, The Abe Lincoln Hoax

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought you would chime in on this one. That one you made is pretty sweet. I need to get one built I guess as many jigs as I am doing now. But i have about 15 differant colors. Do you have a cup for all colors or change out powder from one to the next? How hard is it to change and clean a cup from one color to another if that is how you do it?

Post Thanks / Like

My cups are both 3in. deep and that works for me. I think you will find that the paint will go a long way. The one on the left is micro fiber and the one on the right uses coffee filters. Clean up is easier with the coffee filters but you sometimes have to deal with volcanoes. If you have an air compressor, the micro fiber is pretty easy to clean up. Just bail into it and see what works best for you It tain't rocket surgery
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Crappie.......its whats for dinner!!

Post Thanks / Like

I use 3" cups and they work well on both my 2" and 1 1/2" fluid beds,i've also got an order in for a sheet of the micro fiber,should be enough to make several cups.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for your input... I finished my fluid bed after looking at several pictures and plans found on the net. (See photos below) I decided that I didn't want the pump and air tubes flopping around so I took some scraps and built a box around the set up. I can store it easier this way also.

MO Quack.... Thanks for posting a picture of your fluid bed. Just curious.... Is there a reason you have 2 valves instead of just one? Also, is there a particular place you like to get your powder? What do you consider a good price for bulk quantities? The 1 lb sizes that I have found on the net so far are still quite a bit higher than the Harbor Freight 4.99 price. Maybe it's just wishful thinking that I will find all of the right fishing colors for prices in that neighborhood.

Jiggin15....
    Do you have a cup for all colors or change out powder from one to the next? How hard is it to change and clean a cup from one color to another if that is how you do it?
    Doing it the way I did it, I plan to make several cups and just keep one for each color. If you look at my photo, the 3" pipe is glued to the platform. The 3" to 2" reducer is not glued. (At least for now... the plans I found indicated not to glue the reducer it so that you could switch back and forth from 3" to 2" cups. I don't know if I ever will do that, but I followed the plans just in case.) Then you have the 2" cups that just slide in and out easily.

Buckwheat1... That is an interesting design you have on the 3" model. Is that a floor drain you used? I wish I had seen that before I finished mine or I might have gone that route.

bugman... May I ask what type of micro fiber you are going to use and where you are getting it?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

That's too pretty to get dirty.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great,i thought i had found the right stuff but i think mr zip may have found something better,gonna make a few calls today and i'll let you know what i find.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast