Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad Day Turns to Worse

Post Thanks / Like

Angry Bad Day Turns to Worse

Thursday afternoon after a bad day on Douglas lake things went downhill fast.
    Some dude rearends me and shears off my poor old 25 HP Johnson. I had just got everything running smooth with it and now I need a new motor. Worse yet it is supposed to be beatuful this wekend to fish. Now i am looking for a replacement motor.
    What should I be looking for? It is a 91 model and it hardly seems fair for the guy to have to put a brand new one on, but it is next to impossible to find a used one. He has insurance but he wants to pay out of pocket. Me I just want a reliable motor that I can trust and get back out on the lake.
    What would you do?

Post Thanks / Like

I'd get some bids for a new-to-you motor, Get three bids and make sure that all three are adequate for you that way you can't lose. doesn't have to be a brand new one, just find three good used ones that you like.
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a link that stumpbumpers posted in the off topic forum:
    http://www.boatmotors.com/rebuilt_ou...otors/?dz=3392
    You can scroll down and see motors of various hp.

Post Thanks / Like

price out the cost of your motor turn that in to insurance,then take that money and for a big down payment on a new one.
    Last edited by crappie joe; 02-24-2006 at 09:18 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I just got a call from his insurance Co. I guess he thought he would go that route. The blue book on my motor is less than half the cost of a used replacement. I will probably just have to wait until his insurance makes an offer and than decide. I don't mind putting money out but it hardly seems fair for me to have to pay out of pocket to get back on the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

If there was a police report filed, you have grounds to get the full replacement cost (including a new motor). If not, then it is your word against his and the willingness of the insurance company.

barrelslime is offline Moderator White Bass/Striper/Hybrid Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Give the Ins co h*ll and dont back down or take the first offer. They owe you and you shouldnt settle for any less.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 02-24-2006 at 10:29 AM.
    Personal Best 17 1/2"
    " Let us endeavor so to live, that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barrelslime
    Give the Ins co h*ll and dont back down or take the first offer. They owe you and you shouldnt settle for any less.
    I agree they should give you a comparable replacement if not a better one.
    NEED MORE COWBELL!!
    JD

Post Thanks / Like

Yes police were called to the scene. The report will be available this afternoon. I guess it is just a waiting game now. Hopefully it won't take too long to get things straight.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know how someone can expect that the man or his insurance company will provide a brand new motor. If you were driving a 1991 Chevy and someone hit you and totaled it, insurance isn't going to give anyone a 2006 car as a replacement. What you are entitled to, is a motor of equivilent value. If the amount of their cash settlement won't buy you a similar motor, tell them to go find you one and purchase it for you. Meanwhile I'd insist that they rent a motor for you so you have use of the boat till they find a motor. Trouble is, if you don't have your own insurance on the boat, you would have to hire a lawyer to fight for you. They know that, and will try and make it tough on you. Sometimes suggesting you may need to see a doctor after the accident might make them want to make a fast settlement with you. LOL!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast