Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: rain suit

Post Thanks / Like

Default rain suit

im wanting to buy a new rain suit i have thought about getting frog toggs but i wanted to ask the board members what they used

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rain Suits

I would go with the Cabelas GuideWear Rainsuit if you have the money to afford them. They will last a lot longer.

Frogg togs are ok and they will keep you dry unless you get a rip in them. They are not made of very strong material and are not really cheap either. $70 for a Frogg Toggs rain suit that can easily get ripped apart is not cheap IMHO

I have two pair of the Cabales Gortex rain suits that are too small for me now. I need X large and they are both size Large. I have had them for over 15 years and the only thing wrong with them is that I outgrew them.

But the newer Guideware rain suits have zip in liners made of thinsulate which will allow you to wear them in the winter.

I have seen the catalogs at BPS and Cabelas and think I read were they have a new type of Gortex Material? Not sure how this is different than the origional type of Goretex that first came out.

Has anyone had a Goretex rain suit for a long time and had it fail to keep them dry? My Gortex Cabela's Jacket still fits me (Barely) But I found that it's waterproofing was wearing out. Which is why I was going to wash it in this stuff called NIKWAX TX. DIRECT WASH-IN. Check out www.nikwax.com

http://www.nikwax.com/en-us/products...-1&fabricid=-1

Note: I have not tried using this product yet. I purchased a container of it but have yet to use it. I'll try to report back if I ever use it and let everyone know if it works as advertized.

Quote Originally Posted by hack_62863
    im wanting to buy a new rain suit i have thought about getting frog toggs but i wanted to ask the board members what they used
    Last edited by Moose1am; 02-24-2006 at 04:14 PM.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Well, a fellow board memeber and myself own the Mad Dog Rain Gear. We fished together in the rain last Friday, and after seeing what his and mine did I would not recommend it. We were both wet all the way around the waist. I got caught backin the rain 2 days ago. and took precausions to stay dry around the waiste. Got wet again. So I am looking also.
    Hold My beer and watch this sheeet!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Frog Toggs and like them. Just have to be carefull about riping them.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Stearns rainsuit and have sat thru a lot of rain and am verry pleased with it
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 02-24-2006 at 06:56 AM. Reason: spelling correction for proper identification of Mfg.
    get d net <*((((((>{ PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

I have been wearing Frogg Toggs for the past 6 years for hunting and fishing and love them. I have been out in some pretty heavy rain and wind and have never had any problems with the suits. I would recommend them without hesitation.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb I've had several different brands/styles ..

and currently have the Frogg Toggs Pro-action suit. (currently available for $42 at this site - http://www.qwks.com/froggtoggs.html )

They were originally designed for motorcycle riders .. then golfers ... because of their light weight, packability, they're windproof, flexibility, they don't sweat you, and they're 100% waterproof. Anglers caught on to them, and now they're being marketed to them, more than others.

I wore mine bank fishing once - fell on my bumm a couple of times (slick rocks/steep bank) and tore a 4" gash in the stride. A line of Super Glue and a piece of Duct Tape on the inside of the pants ... and I'm good to go.
    I wear them, not only to keep me dry (when it's raining), but also over my cold weather clothing (Walls Chiller Killer Snowmobile Suit) to keep me warm and dry. I've been busting down the lake WOT on some chilly mornings, and had the cold cut right thru my layering of clothes. Put on my FT's and stopped the cold air intrusion, completely.
    I bought mine according to the chart recommendations... 6'1" - 6'5" 190-230lbs - XL .... even though I'm on the low end of that range. They fit just fine, even over the full length Snowmobile Suit or multiple layers of clothes. They kept me dry ... even crashing thru 3ft waves & 30+mph winds blowing the spray over the side of the boat, during the last tourney I fished.
    They're not "bullet proof" ... and they are subject to melting (if touched by high heat surfaces or flame) and ripping/puncturing (if they come in contact with sharp objects).... but, then so are other brands.
    Are they the "best" thing on the market ....... I dunno -- I just know that they work for me. ........... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Frogg Toggs sure do get my vote!!! I have used them for long time and they are great!! light weight,wind proof and moistures releases!! I have even bought them for my son and other friends,(of course they paid me for them!!! heheheh) and they love them also... I have used them from the most northern border all the way down here and would NOT use any other rainsuit!!! best of luck!!

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Cabela's Guidewear. It may be more expensive initially, but it is worth it in the long run. It is the only raingear I've ever had that actually keeps me dry in an all day rain.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a set of Frogg Toggs Pro action and I do like them. They will keep you dry but one thing I noticed about them is that you need to be very careful around sharp objects. Don't get me wrong they will take a beating but they do not like hooks. Another thing, I will rest my arms on my legs while holding my fishing rod as in time you will notice wear abrasions in the material... They are a very good wind block even in complete down pour. The set that I have are in the third season and will be going with me on my next trip into Canada.
    Just my honest thoughts on this product...

Fish Detective
    "May Your Fishing Dreams Come True"

Fish Detective

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast