PDA

View Full Version : rain suit

hack_62863
02-24-2006, 01:52 AM
im wanting to buy a new rain suit i have thought about getting frog toggs but i wanted to ask the board members what they used

Moose1am
02-24-2006, 02:09 AM
I would go with the Cabelas GuideWear Rainsuit if you have the money to afford them. They will last a lot longer.

Frogg togs are ok and they will keep you dry unless you get a rip in them. They are not made of very strong material and are not really cheap either. $70 for a Frogg Toggs rain suit that can easily get ripped apart is not cheap IMHO

I have two pair of the Cabales Gortex rain suits that are too small for me now. I need X large and they are both size Large. I have had them for over 15 years and the only thing wrong with them is that I outgrew them.

But the newer Guideware rain suits have zip in liners made of thinsulate which will allow you to wear them in the winter.

I have seen the catalogs at BPS and Cabelas and think I read were they have a new type of Gortex Material? Not sure how this is different than the origional type of Goretex that first came out.

Has anyone had a Goretex rain suit for a long time and had it fail to keep them dry? My Gortex Cabela's Jacket still fits me (Barely) But I found that it's waterproofing was wearing out. Which is why I was going to wash it in this stuff called NIKWAX TX. DIRECT WASH-IN. Check out www.nikwax.com

http://www.nikwax.com/en-us/products/productdetail.php?productid=267&activityid=-1&itemid=-1&fabricid=-1

Note: I have not tried using this product yet. I purchased a container of it but have yet to use it. I'll try to report back if I ever use it and let everyone know if it works as advertized.

im wanting to buy a new rain suit i have thought about getting frog toggs but i wanted to ask the board members what they used

Tommy
02-24-2006, 05:35 AM
Well, a fellow board memeber and myself own the Mad Dog Rain Gear. We fished together in the rain last Friday, and after seeing what his and mine did I would not recommend it. We were both wet all the way around the waist. I got caught backin the rain 2 days ago. and took precausions to stay dry around the waiste. Got wet again. So I am looking also.

JET4
02-24-2006, 06:30 AM
I have the Frog Toggs and like them. Just have to be carefull about riping them.

roybuoy
02-24-2006, 06:52 AM
I have a Stearns rainsuit and have sat thru a lot of rain and am verry pleased with it

dockfishin
02-24-2006, 07:30 AM
I have been wearing Frogg Toggs for the past 6 years for hunting and fishing and love them. I have been out in some pretty heavy rain and wind and have never had any problems with the suits. I would recommend them without hesitation.

CrappiePappy
02-24-2006, 07:43 AM
and currently have the Frogg Toggs Pro-action suit. (currently available for $42 at this site - http://www.qwks.com/froggtoggs.html )

They were originally designed for motorcycle riders .. then golfers ... because of their light weight, packability, they're windproof, flexibility, they don't sweat you, and they're 100% waterproof. Anglers caught on to them, and now they're being marketed to them, more than others.

I wore mine bank fishing once - fell on my bumm a couple of times (slick rocks/steep bank) and tore a 4" gash in the stride. A line of Super Glue and a piece of Duct Tape on the inside of the pants ... and I'm good to go.
I wear them, not only to keep me dry (when it's raining), but also over my cold weather clothing (Walls Chiller Killer Snowmobile Suit) to keep me warm and dry. I've been busting down the lake WOT on some chilly mornings, and had the cold cut right thru my layering of clothes. Put on my FT's and stopped the cold air intrusion, completely.
I bought mine according to the chart recommendations... 6'1" - 6'5" 190-230lbs - XL .... even though I'm on the low end of that range. They fit just fine, even over the full length Snowmobile Suit or multiple layers of clothes. They kept me dry ... even crashing thru 3ft waves & 30+mph winds blowing the spray over the side of the boat, during the last tourney I fished.
They're not "bullet proof" ... and they are subject to melting (if touched by high heat surfaces or flame) and ripping/puncturing (if they come in contact with sharp objects).... but, then so are other brands.
Are they the "best" thing on the market ....... I dunno -- I just know that they work for me. ........... cp :cool:

hpcrappieman
02-24-2006, 07:52 AM
Frogg Toggs sure do get my vote!!! I have used them for long time and they are great!! light weight,wind proof and moistures releases!! I have even bought them for my son and other friends,(of course they paid me for them!!! heheheh) and they love them also... I have used them from the most northern border all the way down here and would NOT use any other rainsuit!!! best of luck!!

Bugtussle
02-24-2006, 07:54 AM
I have the Cabela's Guidewear. It may be more expensive initially, but it is worth it in the long run. It is the only raingear I've ever had that actually keeps me dry in an all day rain.

fish_detective
02-24-2006, 07:57 AM
I have a set of Frogg Toggs Pro action and I do like them. They will keep you dry but one thing I noticed about them is that you need to be very careful around sharp objects. Don't get me wrong they will take a beating but they do not like hooks. Another thing, I will rest my arms on my legs while holding my fishing rod as in time you will notice wear abrasions in the material... They are a very good wind block even in complete down pour. The set that I have are in the third season and will be going with me on my next trip into Canada.
Just my honest thoughts on this product...

Fish Detective

luv2fish
02-24-2006, 08:30 AM
I have a set of columbia rain gear that is great. Very well made from the zippers on down. I've set for hours in the rain and they have never leaked. I highly recomend them. I also have a set of frog toggs and they are ok but don't really compare to the columbia's. However the toggs are a lot cheaper.

rockjawjohnny
02-24-2006, 09:49 AM
Bass pro shops 100mph. Money well spent.

crap-king
02-24-2006, 10:18 AM
I have frog toggs and I like the light weight for warm weather fishing or knockin off wind in less cool temps - but he light weight does make them wear out much quicker - yeah you can patch holes but the elastic tears around the cuffs in the legs and sleeves and they are done - I got 2 pair for $29 each the day after Thanksgiving at BPS - I put them in the boat for emergencies - now for Christmas I got the BPS XPS sytem - excellent protection against the elements - not quite as heavy as the 100 mph suit - but does an excellent job - in coldweather I put a fleece jacket underneath and it is really warm

HOTSPOT
02-24-2006, 10:33 AM
Frogg Toggs are hard to beat.

ReelFun
02-24-2006, 11:14 AM
I believe you get what you pay for. I wear gortex hunting pants and top I got from Dicks sporting goods. I personally would buy anything made of gortex. it alows you to sweat and stay dry at the same time.

bigbob
02-24-2006, 12:09 PM
I had two pair of Frogg Toggs and they kept me dry as long as I was moving around but when sitting a the seat, water would puddle between the seat and my legs and eventually the Frogg Toggs leaked through.
Both pairs were like this so I went to the BPS gortex and haven't looked back.

PIGINTHEPIGPEN
02-24-2006, 01:28 PM
I have Browning rain gear. Very light weight and, breathable. Keeps you warm and, dry on those cool wet outings. Kind of pricey I must say but, money well spent in my opinion.

Bruce Carp
02-24-2006, 02:19 PM
Frogg toggs work for me. and they will last the season. great as wind breakers on cool days!

CatFan
02-24-2006, 03:34 PM
The Frogg Toggs are great for light weight and packing, like when you don't expect rain and get caught. They will keep you dry. The Cablelas Guide Wear and BPS 100mph suit are the cream of the crop. I bought a set at Gander Mountain a couple years ago for $140 that I'm pretty happy with.

pauldbennett
02-24-2006, 07:37 PM
I vote for Frogg Toggs. I ride a motorcycle and have been caught in some real bab rains and winds. They keep you dry no doubt about it.

ShilohRed
02-25-2006, 05:10 PM
Best I bought were 10X Gortex from Bass- Pro about 17 years ago. Still works but getting tird. I think the set were around $280. Back then. Sure did get my $$ worth out of them.
Now my next set will be where I can use them winter and summer.
Now 5 years ago i bought my wife a set of the BAss-Pro brand gortex not worth the $$. lay your arm on your leg and its wet.,

Pete

callshy
02-25-2006, 05:48 PM
Glad to hear everyone else is having better luck with the Frogg Toggs than I have. I had 4 different sets and have gotten rid of all of them because water seemed to seep thru them after a while. I would not take any cheep route when buying raingear. Just remember, do not buy anything that has thinsulate unless it is removable. My wife picked up some raingear at the local Sam's wholesale and I have had good luck so far (4 outings in the rain including today) but if I have to buy more I will spend the money for the Columbia.