Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too cold to fish

Post Thanks / Like

Default Too cold to fish

Its just too cold to fish right now. 20's early in the morning and not higher than mid 30's during the day with 15 mph winds. I can't take that even for a big Crappie. How cold is where U fish now.

Post Thanks / Like

Let's see, here on Oologah we had a high of 20 something today with the low this morning at -12. Negative zero again in the morning and about ready to see what all the rage is about this ice fishing thing. Never too cold to fish though. You just need some warmer clothes and a little heater in your boat to dry gloves and keep your hands toasty. You're missing some of the best fishing around during the cold weather. I wish it were only 20 and mid 30's here! Then maybe the boat ramp wouldn't be a slip n slide. Just two weeks ago had to break ice with the boat to fish and caught several nice Crappie in the 11" to 14" range.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

It's not the cold that bothers me it's the wind. That heater just seems to do no good when the wind is blowing 20 mph.

"Keep talkin smack and I'll make ya famous !!!"
    B&L Marine Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I am on dialysis 3 days a week and do not have the durability of most folks. I wish I could fish in really cold weather like I used to do. I did check on my house on the lake today and it looked bad out on the water. The wind was 15 mph and it was cold. Brrrr

Post Thanks / Like

I live northeast of Houston about 45 miles. I really wanted to go crappie fishin for awhile this morning and then go graph some areas to place some PVC condos for future use.
    For some asinine reason I convinced myself it wasn't 'that' cold out this morning, it was cloudy and 23°, so about 9:15 I put on the thermal underware and insulated Carhartt's, hooked up the boat and pulled it out of the shed. Fortunately I had to stop and get boat gas on the way to the lake. While standing there gassing up the boat that north wind finally got through my thick head and got into the better judgement area of my brain. The boat went back to the shed LOL!! We are supposed to get some of that sleet and snow tonight and most all day tomorrow.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 02-04-2011 at 09:28 AM.
    -LP

2007 Skeeter ZX-20 Bay / Yamaha 150 VMax
    Lowrance HDS-8, 7, & 5 with LSS-1

Post Thanks / Like

As several of you have noted, it`s NOT the actual air temps that are so brutal (right now about 0 degrees, Springfield, Ohio) it`s adding in the wind CHILL factor; we have 10 mph right now, so the wind chill is about -8 degrees. Add being on a body of water, open or frozen and there goes another 3-5 degrees...that`s about -11 or 12 at least...I`ll WAIT!!

Post Thanks / Like

-11 actual temp yesterday before daylight and finally reached 20 late in the evening,we have a balmy 5 this mornin combined with over a foot of snow and our lakes frozen we're in for a long dryspell.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Now you Southerners know what us Northerners go through every winter. 20 inches of snow on the ground and its warmed up to 10 degrees this morning. There's a reason we all retire to the south, well at least the sane ones...
    "Guns have only two enemies rust and politicians."

Post Thanks / Like

at this moment, 36* with wind chill of 27* raining with thunder.
    I will wait and see what rain and wind does a little later and maybe make a real quick trip close to the house. Gonna try to go sometime tomorrow, unless the "honey-do's" take up to much time...
    "... run with patience
    the race that is set before us ..." Heb. 12:1-3

Post Thanks / Like

Heck, I was in the South when I retired, Lol, Still to cold for me to fish, and now it's RAINING and cold , you guys keep that %#*&^% up there okay !
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast