Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Voltage on fish finder?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Voltage on fish finder?

I charged my batteries tonight and the voltage on the FF went up to 12.3 with the light on and 13.5+ with it off. Is this in a normal range? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

from what I have read all have a large range of operating voltage... most of them are in the 10-16 volt range, i really wouldnt see that as a problem... most batteries charge to 13 - 14 volts and get noticeably weak around 11 volts just my thoughts...

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds normal. When charged most batteries will show around 13V so yours sounds in line.

Post Thanks / Like

The voltage sounds good. A fully charged battery in good condition should have about 13 volts across the ternimals. The next thing to do is let the battery sit a couple of days and see if or how much the voltage drops.
    Keith
    2008 NWR Bash Crappie Champion
    2010 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2010 Buggs Bash Smallest Crappie Award

Post Thanks / Like

If I am reading this right, you are saying that the voltage is 13.5 with the light off, and when you turn the light on the depth finder, it drops to 12.2 ? I am not an expert on this, but that seems like alot of voltage drop. Mine goes from 12.5 down to 12.2 when I turn the light on the depth finder. My battery hasn't been charged for a month or so, that may make a difference. Now if you are turning on the boat lights, you voltage drop is about right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbass91
    I charged my batteries tonight and the voltage on the FF went up to 12.3 with the light on and 13.5+ with it off. Is this in a normal range? Thanks
    When you first shut the charger off, the battery will have a surface charge that will be about 13.5V. After sitting overnight or drawing some current like a trim motor or spotlight for a minute or two, it will drop to the normal fully charged voltage of 12.65 to 12.7V. These numbers are as they would be measured at the battery, so they don't account for any drops that might occur in the wiring to the fishfinder.
    Seeing that much drop would make me suspect a wiring issue, but unless you are having the finder shut down during use, I wouldn't worry about it.