Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Gardening Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2011 Gardening Thread

Here is the gardening thread for 2011. Happy New Year!
    Keith
    2008 NWR Bash Crappie Champion
    2010 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2010 Buggs Bash Smallest Crappie Award

Post Thanks / Like

Asparagus, any one know where to purchase for a fair price? I just received 2 catalogs and both had em' 10 1 year old plants for 14.95

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

So when is ya'll planting times? Some here will set tomatoes as early as mid March but most wait until 1st or 2nd week in April if they dont want to be bothered with covering plants due to chances of frost.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

May is generally the month I put tomato plants in the garden, probably the most pop mo. in tidewater VA.

Flats look at a feed store that carries a good supply of seed, onion, & potato seed, etc..., and chances are they carry asparagus in the early spring. Think I paid $4.95 for what was 22 or 23 crowns when seperated. (5 yrs ago) They were sold in a loosely bound bundle. If you find em they are sold pre-sexed, they are yearling plants grown from seed and dug up and sexed before resale as starters. The crowns are white and have many tentacles. If you see any red spots on any of the crowns toss em. They are the wrong sex, and will only produce skinny, somewhat woody spears. You will get enuf of that in yur bed after several yrs from natural reseeding, but it is undesireable to plant them as starters beginning a new bed. If you should find too many of em I would point it out and ask for a discount. Or for solid white replacements for them, crown for crown. Most places that sell em dont know about em, just the cost & mark-up part.
    Hog Choker and I put in beds at near the same time and are enjoying the rewards.
    2 truck farmers I know both said they have attended conferences on growing asparagus and the one thing they preach is phosphate use- plenty of bone meal. I know I can get em here just down the road, or can tell you when theyre in if you strike out down there.
    Thanks for the updated thread PanMan.
    Shoer,
    12th Degree Ninja

Post Thanks / Like

Date of last frost in North Eastern NC is around April 15th. Now if there is a certain soil temp needed for Tomatoes, I don't know.CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Flatbread- Va. Beach Feed and Seed Witchduck Rd. near Va. Beach Blvd.

Like HS said, I put my bed in maybe 4 or 5 yrs. ago and it's a wonderful thing to see 'em pop up in the late winter.
    I'm sure you've read up on it, but you really have to hold back on the cutting for the first couple of years to let them get established. After that it's game on and your pee will be stinking from March through June
    "I put the "O" in Tony's Opossum"

Post Thanks / Like

I have never noticed that, and am always taken unawares every time I see reference to it. Guess I'm 53, I better get down on all 4s, or arc a stream past my nose and see what the fact of the matter is. I hate to caveman on myself and be swishing it around in a spaghetti sauce jar, holding it to my nose to detect any eloquent bouquets and crap like that. Sipping definitely outta the question.

Brad you coulda offered to "prune" it for the 1st two yrs for him, get it trained to grow best when it matures.
    Shoer,
    12th Degree Ninja

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey, CEO, Drip Pan Roofing Co.:

And anyone else interested:

I am ordering potato onions. Google em. Theyre regular yellow onions, albeit smaller, and grow in a cluster, hence the potato name. Theyre smaller than a regular onion but STORE INCREDIBLY LONG. Getting seed for them is still hard cuz theyre coming back into popularity after many many yrs of going backshelf to modern large varieties. I am getting my seed from Southeast Seed Exchange, and the way they do it is by first-come, first-serve orders taken after Jan 1st. They raise their seed right there and harvest in June and start filling orders. The idea is to get 1 order (8-12 onions) as starters, plant em in the fall, then June of 2012 I will have a good amount of onions from those to start planting with eating in mind and a part reserved for seed. The very true claim to these onions (we grew em on the farm) is that once you buy the initial ones you will never ever have to buy another onion in yur life after 1-2 yrs. They keep so well that you always have seed from that yrs' crop, and even will keep the extra yr if you skip planting a yr. They are so prolific growing in clusters like they do that you just always have good firm onions around. I aint trying to live sustainable or nuthin but am doing things like asparagus, garlic, onions now, and saving seed from stuff so that some items will never be on my shopping list in this lifetime again. I remember how we grew big onions in the garden, and had a good place in a root cellar in our houses' rock cellar-like a sandbox, to keep em for a good long time, but there was always a big cardboard box fulla potato onions sittin in the porch cuz they kept so well it dint matter that it wasnt good conditions. If/when the big onions ran out or started going bad we always had potato onions and often used em anyway cuz there were so many and they were handy kept upstairs. Citified friends of the family were always amazed when my folks would send em back home with a feedsack fulla potato onions, be calling a yr later saying dam theyre just as firm as day you gave em to us.

Moral of the story: Do ya want some?
    http://www.southernexposure.com/inde...roducts_id=873
    Shoer,
    12th Degree Ninja

Post Thanks / Like

Please explain "save some for seed"?

Do you plant the same bulb and it grows another cluster of onions?

I feel ya on the saving seed stuff. It felt good to plant garlic that I produced last year. I'm still eating garlic that I pulled last June. Did the same with the shallots. And those green onions you gave me have helped with many a good meal. I think I've provided 3 or 4 gardeners with starter bunches from the ones you provided.
    -Let the good times roll

Post Thanks / Like

I just ordered mine. Under "special instructions" I put to just make sure they send mine before they send yours:p

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast