Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some help please

Post Thanks / Like

Default Some help please

Went crappie fishing this mourning and caught about 35.
    Of the 35, only 6 were 10 inches. Lot's of 9 inchers and milk drippers.
    They have to be at least 10 inches for me to release in hot grease.

The problem with today was I caught about 60 bluegill.
    Would have been great if I was bluegill fishing but, I was'nt and it was starting to pisz me off because these bluegill were just shredding my twister tails. I went through a whole pack of twisters about 20. Just to bring home 6 crappie. I switched color and depth and still could not get rid of the bluegill. I have fished this area for years and never had the problem that I'm having this year.

Anyone of you crappie guru's have a solution to how I can still fish the same area and not have these bluegills eating me out of house and home?
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

Post Thanks / Like

i would probably start by using a larger bait. if that doesn't work i'm not sure what will. if your fishing in a small lake or pond i would definitely start removing some of the bluegill. just a thought.
    "Give me crappie, or give me death"

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with adamr on this one piginthepigpen.
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb just a thought ....

I've had the same problem with "gills" removing the "tails" from my tubes !! Most of the time they would just yank the tube down on the hook (and off the retainer barb). I fixed that particular problem by dropping a small dab of Super Glue between the jighead and tube. Well - that kept them from pulling the tube down on the jighead ... but then they just pulled the "legs" off the tube - one at at time - until I had nothing on my jighead but the main body of the tube ...LOL!!
    You might try the "solid" body type baits ... like Panfish Assassins ... and see if your Crappie catch rate stays the same, but your "gill" problem declines.
    At least you are CATCHING those "gills" ... LOL!! Most of the time I don't. Are you using those 1" sized twisters ? Adamr's suggestion to upsize your offering may have some merit, if you are. ...........luck2ya ......cp

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with tool, I'd have to keep dem bluegills. I love to eat bluegill, but I dont even eat crappie, even though they are my favorite to catch.

Post Thanks / Like

not a better fish fried than a fat bluegill.
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fry those suckers!

I like the firmer texture of gills over crappie, but we eat both (along with several other species.)
    Bait size doesn't seem to matter to a hungry gill. We've had big ones hit a whole crawler thrown out for pond bass and they'll hit darn near any crank bait or spinner. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

Pig...my wife and I love catching fat bluegill as well as crappie...tell me the name of the lake if you don't mind...we may give it a try if it was worth the drive.

Post Thanks / Like

Default agree to disagree

Kenny lake Mattoon one of the best bluegill lakes in Illinois.
    I have ate more than my share of gills and my pallet says there still second in line when it comes to taste.
    Crappie all the way baby.

Some of these gills I caught today fought like largemouth.
    When I'm not crappie fishing I like to catch them.
    When I set out to catch crappie, that's what I want .
    No substitute!
    Most of the gills I caught today were between 5-7 inches and were plenty fat.
    I would still rather clean a 10 inch crappie than an 8 inch gill.

PS Thanks crappiepappy as always for the good advise.
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

Post Thanks / Like

keep the gills for the pan, and u sould start to catch those crappies again. Had the same problem this year, had a neighborhood fish fry and my ol crappie hole came back. YAHOO, cant wait till ice fishing season. good luck

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast