Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Spawn???

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Spawn???

Do you think the crappie may start getting back to the shallow by this weekend? I was hoping with all the rain, and the weather getting warmer it would spark them into biting!!!

On a side note if anybody on here is needing tackle I now have crappie tubes, jigheads with tubes, hooks and soon to add sinkers. Crappie.com members, I will waive your shipping fees on orders of 10.00 dollars or more. www.crappiemondaysjigs.com
    I'll catch them all next time!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

It aint happening on Lake Houston yet. Wont be long.

Post Thanks / Like

About how many days does it need to be 55-58 before it starts?
    :p :p I would rather be fishing :D :D

Post Thanks / Like

I was on Lake Belton today and the water temp was between 57 and some places 60, I don't think this dictates the spawn, especially since we have had this crazy weather lately. Someone please school me. I talked with several fisherman today and no one had any luck. Not even the ones looking for LMB. Thanks and Take Care, TF

Post Thanks / Like

One thing that I am sure of is the spawn is not an instantaneous 100% migration to the shallows. We have been watching eggs developing in female crappie for well over a month now. A slight warm up may trigger some early arrivals in the shallows in certain areas. Especially in areas that are warmed by the sun most of the day. Your best bet is to go fishing as often as possible until you start whackin em!

Post Thanks / Like

I wish I could be checking the egg levels in those crappie, but you have to catch em to check. Got skunked yesterday again. LOL Maybe I should start using dynamite! Thanks for the info.

Post Thanks / Like

Your crappie prefer a water temperature of 55-68 degrees in order to spawn. And as someone here has already stated, they don't all go spawn at the same time. You get your early starters and your late bloomers.

Considering water temp, length of daylight and the oncoming of the full moon, the spawn normally happens in mid-March.

With this warmer weather we're having right now, we should start seeing fish move up this week or next if it holds. Considering how cold it's been lately, we may, I would think, get a larger number of fish spawning at the same time. The usual early spawners are still waiting for the right water temperatures while the usual normal-time spawners are wondering what the heck the early spawners are so worried about. :D

The night time temps are really a key because the water will cool down at night if the air temps drop too much over night. But with the night time temps staying in the 50's recently, it should (I Hope) get them going soon or on time for the normal-time spawners.
    <--Click for Website

Post Thanks / Like

Default Somthings Got To Give

These females down here are busting at the Gills with eggs, but still in the open channel. I won't be long before Mother Nature takes over. After catching all fall and winter in deeper waters it will be a good change of pace to fish the spawn. It always reminds me of my childhood. My first recollections of fishing where spawning crappie. You guys don't forget to take your kids out fishing this spring.

Many Thumps,

Big Dave