Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crappie flies

jworks Guest

Default Crappie flies

I would like to tie some flies and try flyfishing for crappie. I have made my own for bass and bream but not sure what to do for crappie. Spring is right around the corner. Can someone offer suggestions? You can email me straight at [email protected]. Sometimes at night I am also on Yahoo IM, online ID is jiminal1851

Post Thanks / Like

If there are any pics available, I'd like to see them as well.
    Please post on the thread.
    Currently a non-fishing slacker! (not for too much longer)

Post Thanks / Like

Tie some on plain hooks that look just like a crappie jig without the lead head. I have made some and used them with great success.
    www.varsitymrtg.com the #1 source for Fisherman's home financing.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

A Clouser Minnow would be great, particularly chartreuse over white.

Go here:

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/

and do a keyword search for "clouser". They (FAOL) have excellent tying instructions for clousers and a bunch of other flies.

You can also check out the "Panfish" section under "Features". In the archives, there is a list of good crappie flies called "Rick's Favorite Crappie Flies".

Post Thanks / Like

Clouser minnows as said b4 are great. I also us bead heads, wooley buggers with krystakl flash and trim off the body hackle - looks more like a minnow when giving the line a "twitch" on retreive w/o the body hackle.

Post Thanks / Like

Short Answer. Match the Hatch.

I have this theory on what fish eat. I think that they will try anything that looks alive until they learn that it's not good to eat. In other words they learn what's good and what's not good to eat as they get older. A crappie that catches a drowning bumblebee and get's stung may shy away from black and yellow patterns after that day. But if they catch a may fly and eat it and it taste good and puts up no resistance then mayflies will always be on the menu when they are available.

Check out the lake bottom someday. You may find all kinds of tiny critters living in the muck or under the rocks. Mayfly larve, cadisfly larve and a few other aquatic insects live in between the rocks, burrow in the mud or cling to the submergent vegetation. I would try to get flies that imigate those small critters especially at the time of year when there is abundance of any of these critters.

Early June around my house I get a lot of yellow mayflies hatching. There is a small pond nearby and I suspect that they hatch out of the water and come to my porch lights.

I would think that there are scuds swimming in the lakes around North America. They may hide in an among the aquatic vegetations. Eurasian Millfoil is taking over the lakes I fish. It supports lots of little critters.

I don't tie flies but would love to learn how to do that some day. I have a very good old book from George Leonard Herter called "Professional Fly Tying, Spinning Tackle Making".

I would think that any fly that looks and acts (swims) like the minnows in your waters may work.

I am going to try to fly fish for some crappie this year.

I caught a nice 1.5lb White crappie on my fly rod back in 2002 but I used a jig and bobber with the fly rod that day. A 1.5lb 16" long White crappie puts up a good tussle on the ole fly rod.

Quote Originally Posted by jworks
    I would like to tie some flies and try flyfishing for crappie. I have made my own for bass and bream but not sure what to do for crappie. Spring is right around the corner. Can someone offer suggestions? You can email me straight at [email protected]. Sometimes at night I am also on Yahoo IM, online ID is jiminal1851
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

A Copper John is a popular fly in this area.
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.flytyingforum.com/
    They have search by species, lot of good step by step for tying.

Post Thanks / Like

Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast