Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: What and how do you tightline?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What and how do you tightline?

Can someone please explain to me what and how you tightline? I am new to fishing and have started off with Crapie fishing because I fished a little with my Dad when I was young.

Post Thanks / Like

My definition of tightlining is fishing vertical with no float. You are feeling for a bump instead of watching a float (cork) go under. That's the best way I can sum it up.

"Keep talkin smack and I'll make ya famous !!!"
    B&L Marine Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

X2
    you tight line usually when you're fishing on a dock or over some brush when your target is directly below you.

Post Thanks / Like

Most folk on here call it spider-rigging if I'm reading you right. Do a search, lots of info.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
    Most folk on here call it spider-rigging if I'm reading you right. Do a search, lots of info.
    Actually, Steve .... I think most folks distinguish between the two terms. Spider-rigging is a multiple pole method, with the boat moving --- Tightline is a multiple pole method, in a stationary position (with the lines being straight down from the rod tip ... ie "tight"). And, as was mentioned, you can "tightline" from something other than a boat (like a dock, pier, cliff, or bridge).

One has to distinguish "having a tight line", from "tightline" fishing .... since you have a tight line when you troll, cast, jig, or spider-rig. I've always called "tightline" fishing ... "still fishing" ... as in the boat is sitting still (tied up/anchored). When the boat isn't tied up/anchored, and it's drifting with the wind or the occasional boost from a trolling motor or paddle, I call it "drift fishing" ... but, when the trolling motor or paddle is constantly or frequently in use, to move the boat in a specific direction, then I refer to it as simply "trolling".

"Tightline" fishing is also, generally, considered a live bait use method .... but, some of our more innovative members have & do use the method with artificials (or both, in tandem or seperate).

... cp