Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: KY lake

Post Thanks / Like

Default KY lake

Looks like the decision has been made to head to the blood river area late next week, as long as the weather is decent. Any advice on decent areas to fish, lodgeing, ect. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

If I were to fish Blood river I would get the Kentucky Hydrografx maps of that area and study them on my computer before I left to go fishing. I would mark good looking sites for prespawning crappie of both species and then look for good spawning areas on the map and mark them as well. Then I would transfer those waypoints onto my GPS unit. Check out the water level before you go and try to get a feel for what the lake level has been doing the last few days. Rising or falling or staying level for a few days. Check with the Corp of Engineers to see if you can get a generation schedule. When the dam opens the gates the lake has current. I would think that the crappie would try to find shelter from the currents. Look for areas that provide the fish shelter.

Pat Hahs's KY Hydrografx maps show the bottom structure of the Blood River section of KY lake like no other maps will. They are a must for the serious KY lake fisherman. Even the locals by them. They will show you the bottom's stumps, brush piles and even stake beds in 20ft of water.

http://www.kentuckyhydrografx.com/

I am not familar with the lodging around the Blood River area but I'll bet that it's pretty well filled up by now. We use to always make our reservations to KY lake about a year in advance for April trips.

April is the prime season for KY lake Crappie. They can spawn at any time as it all depends on the weather and how warm the water gets and then the water levels effect the spawn also.

Quote Originally Posted by fishn_ia
    Looks like the decision has been made to head to the blood river area late next week, as long as the weather is decent. Any advice on decent areas to fish, lodgeing, ect. Thanks
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

The computer mapping system is a great tool. I use it myself. If I was going t fish Jonathan without any knowledge of the place and with a short time to find fish I would Look up a good guide and pay him for 1/2 a day. They keep up with fish movements day to day and almost always catch a good number of fish. Smart money spent is almost like not spending it at all.

THE BANDIT
    1 Corinthians 2:2.----Nothing else counts!!
    "This one thing I know, and that is Jesus Christ and Him crucified."

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know about Springville/Paris area but around Camden , after the cold front went through, fishing is tough, right now. Must have been a shad kill, as the gulls appear to be having a feast.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ky. Lake Today

Fished the Ky. Lake area today. The bite was tough. Shad keep the graph blacked out all times today. We did manage to box 20 nice keepers. As for the weather it could not have been better.
    www.fatdaddysguideservice.com
    Fatdaddy

Post Thanks / Like

Here is an article you can read that might help .
    www.kdfwr.state.ky.us/crappieresults.asp
    As far as a place to stay there is several motels in Murray Kentucky as well as resturants . It's not far from the Blood River part of the lake . I fished there 2 or 3 years ago in the first week of April and caught a lot of nice fish from stake beds around boat docks .
    See ya Kevin ><)))*>
    Excellent