Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question For The Northern Guys About Perch

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question For The Northern Guys About Perch

On TV they show a lot of ice fishing shows. The perch they catch look nothing like the perch we have in Texas. More long than round like our bluegills. Are they as good as bluegill to eat? As a kid, there was nothing better than perch to eat, and I was wondering about the taste of the other kind?
    Future member of any forum deathb4disco moderates.

Member of Wally Marshall's Mr. Crappie Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

The perch we get ice fishing are just as good if not better than our bluegills. Everyone has their own preference. The perch are in the same family as walleye and sauger. Any fresh fish that hits the hot oil is a good fish !!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes! Golden brown fried perch fillets served piping hot with hush puppies...YUMMY!! Or, failing perch, ANY golden brown fried fish fillets....pass the platter, please!

Post Thanks / Like

Perch in northern Wisconsin are typically less rounded bodied than what you folks see down south say like in Oklahoma where I have also fished. They also tend to be somewhat longer though and occasionally we will run across a mess of what we like to call "Jumbo Perch". These are usually 12" + and fill up the plate in a hurry. Nice thing about catching them through the ice is that the flesh is firmer, parasite free and ranks right up there with some of the best fish you can eat. Bad thing about them is when "Momma" ties into them there goes my crappie fishin' right out the window!

Post Thanks / Like

Northern yellow perch are in the walleye/sauger family and are very good table fair; IMO, however, bluegill are number one. Perch fillet like a dream--very small rib cage that scoops right out and jumbos can be 12-13". Most of them, at least on inland Ohio lakes, are smaller than that, and anything over 8" is a decent perch.

Bob # 1 is offline Moderator Fisherman's Memorial Forum * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

My 2 cents
    Perch next to crappie are the best two freshwater eating fish
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Testimonials
    Night fishing tips 101
    Temperature Guide Crappie

Fishing lights

Post Thanks / Like

As has been said, the Yellow Perch is a cousin to the Walleye/Sauger family. It has a similiar shape to the Walleye/Sauger, long and clindrical. It is a nomadic fish as it's cousins are. They taste as good as the Walleye does. Walleye from the South, don't taste nearly as good as the one's from the Northern States, that has come out of much colder water. If you catch one, you usually can catch quite a few. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent tasting!!!! I don't even fillet them, I slice the head off slit the belly, run the knife down each side of the top fin and then peel the skin off. Fried up just peel the meat right off the bone. Once you get into them you'll catch a bunch.

Post Thanks / Like

Going by price AND availability, would figure whitefish, walleye, perch, bluegill and crappie (neither is commonly commercially sold)...and of course, will expect a couple of comments of differing opinions...but ALL are top of the line 5* dining fare!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Huntin View Post
    Perch in northern Wisconsin are typically less rounded bodied than what you folks see down south say like in Oklahoma where I have also fished. They also tend to be somewhat longer though and occasionally we will run across a mess of what we like to call "Jumbo Perch". These are usually 12" + and fill up the plate in a hurry. Nice thing about catching them through the ice is that the flesh is firmer, parasite free and ranks right up there with some of the best fish you can eat. Bad thing about them is when "Momma" ties into them there goes my crappie fishin' right out the window!
    If only the gills we have in oklahoma were big. i can go to the dock and watch scools of gills swimming around just below the surface. I can throw a hook in there with an old dried up worm and catch one in less than 10 seconds, no joke.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast