Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: be careful out there on the water. it happens every year too often.

Post Thanks / Like

Default be careful out there on the water. it happens every year too often.

and i'm not a good one to take my own advice. 4 people drowned in southwest missouri while on a fishing trip. they were from dallas, mo. i don't know where that's at but it doesn't matter. that town and 3 families lost loved ones when they possibly could have been saved had they worn life vests. i never wear mine and have been thinking about one of the new type vests. someone here may even know these people.

Post Thanks / Like

I do get careless and not wear my vest,but you never think is going to happen to ya..But reading this I hope is a wake up to wear my vest.Always sad to hear this happen to anyone on the water.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

We've had a run of drownings here on the North end of Ky Lake. I helped look for the 3 teens that drowned 2 years ago while duck hunt''n. Sad, sad situation.

I'm get'n older and am not as coordinated as I used to be. Been working on the river for over 35 years & can't swim a lick. Been crappie fish'n for over 45 years & can remember put'n on a life jacket maybe 3 times while fish'n.

I figure I've been push'n my luck. Law of averages is sneek'n up on me. Statistically speak'n, I'm way over due to get my butt wet.

I made a commitment to my wife this year, to start wear'n a PFD all the time, not just when I'm runn'n from spot to spot.

I bought me an inflatable last month and wore it when I went fishing yesterday. Not too bad after you get used to it.

It's really a pretty good investment when you weight the cost of the jacket against the price of a funeral these days.

I used to be the Safety Man for the Barge Co. I work for now. USCG statistics show that of all the reported MOB's, if you fall in without a life jacket you have a 1 outa 10 chance of coming out alive. (This stat. may be skewed somewhat because not all MOB's get reported.) You'd go broke in Vagas with those odds!

You know, one of the common comments I hear about someone after they drown? "I can't believe this happened! He/she was such a good swimmer!"
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Your right on about that---hookin up the kill switch is another great ideal--reached for a minnow bucket one day and was saved by the switch
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

I bought an inflatable last fall. I wear it all day now and really can't notice that I have it on.
    I'm like you whiskers I know if I fell in I'd be in trouble without one.
    Take you kids fishing today!!! They will be grown (and married and have children of their on) tomorrow. Then you can take your GRANDKIDS!
    Podunkideas Pro Staff
    Cornfield Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Yep

Quote Originally Posted by frank lawhead View Post
    Your right on about that---hookin up the kill switch is another great ideal--reached for a minnow bucket one day and was saved by the switch
    That's something I'm guilty of. I really need to do that.
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

i don't do it either but in arkansas it's the law to have it hooked to your body when running with the outboard. they don't give warnings on this i understand. a few times i've hooked mine coming back to the ramp. someone i know got a ticket when he pulled up to a ramp and a game warden was watching and he didn't have the kill cord attached. but still, you fall out in this cold water and you have only minutes to get help. one in the story was picked up while still clinging to the boat and died at the hospital from exposure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by b.falo13 View Post
    I bought an inflatable last fall. I wear it all day now and really can't notice that I have it on.
    I'm like you whiskers I know if I fell in I'd be in trouble without one.
    To the people with the inflatable vest in cold weather do you wear it under your coat or on the outside? I wear a 3XXX coat and don't know that they make one big enough to go over a 3XXX heavy coat.
    Thanks
    Carter

“Within the covers of the Bible are all the answers for all the problems men face."
    Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

carter, i've read that you need to wear it over any clothes that under them it might not be able to inflate right.

Post Thanks / Like

According to the springfield newspaper, it happened about 40 miles north of springfield, 2 adults and one 11 year old were
    gigging at night in a 12 foot john boat, must have capsized and a man on the bank attempted to help them. He drowned
    also, and a conservation agent found his boots on the bank where he apparently took them off before trying to help.
    Water was 30 degrees.
    Sad thing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast