Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: pond / bilge pump / de iceer comments wanted

Post Thanks / Like

Default pond / bilge pump / de iceer comments wanted

any body use a bilge pump to de ice around your dock or what else is a cheap way to do it

Post Thanks / Like

Use or find a cheap trolling motor. I suppose you've got electric there, anyway. Get an inverter and plug it in. I've done this before to keep an open hole for waterfowl. We didn't, and you may not, have the luxury of electricity. If you're kinda handy, you can just disconnect the head and extend your wiring. This way you can put the prop faceing towards the ground, pulling the warmer water off of the bottom.

I'd say we have similiar winters. Keeping the motor running at night is the key. Wind and sunshine keeps a lot of holes open, or at least open enough to kick on the motor just before dark, again.

Post Thanks / Like

if you do have electricity available, go to northern tool, get a submersible pump and fix it to where the pump will keep the water moving enough to prevent freezing. Might be more reliable than using a TM, safer too.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

sound good too and i do have a pump butit discharge up guess I could put hose on it

Post Thanks / Like

move south and get out of the ice. you can get more use out of your little toy boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey there ole man, see you're still kicking. Have you talked to Bob ??

Post Thanks / Like

no i haven't yet rich. i've kinda put that on the back burner for right now. now i'm wondering more how to shoot a percussion probably .54 or .60 cal that's over 150 years old. i haven't quite figured out how to rig up something safe enough to get my hand behind to pull the trigger.

Post Thanks / Like

I doubt a bilge pump or trolling motor is going to last very long on continuous duty. Most dock protectors use an air pump blowing into hoses that vent underwater.

Post Thanks / Like

Check Rogersportinggoods.com they had mallard machines on sale for 59.00. It is a 36lb trolling motor head that you attach three duck decoys to hold it up. You could use milk jugs. I have a couple for duck hunting and they will turn some water im sure it will keep you a pretty big hole open.