Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Weed Cutter

Post Thanks / Like

Default Weed Cutter

Mister Twister Shear Magic Weed Cutter $30.00

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...380&hasJS=true

Anyone use one of these or others to keep weeds clear of the trolling motor? Is it worth the cost?
    Looks simple to make. Perhaps by shaping some combine blades to fit the motor, sticking with marine epoxy and clamping with hose clamps.
    Sounds like a plan.
    Any comments?
    Fin

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never seen anything like that before but it looks like it would become more of a weed collector than cutter. Might work some if you are going real fast. Just my 2¢.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Just my opinion but I would just use a weedless prop. instead of adding anything to the motor head. I have a Minn Kota motor and use the weedless prop and you would be amazed at what it will go thru without getting anything on the prop. As for fishing line that is just inevitable to get it wrapped ever so often.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Someone makes a similar product for the lower unit of big motors. Actually several manufactures. They are used to cut anchor lines, nets, crab pots, etc. I haven't used them personally and if I get something around my prop, I'll wish I had. I know a lot of saltwater guys use them around here. They say they work really well, especially for sail boats, since they are harder to turn. I would imagine that it would shread anything in its way on a trolling motor(vegetation, not rope), but I also have a weedless prop and never had any problems. I troll mine directly through grass and weeds, just nothing real thick. If you fish places with an extreme amount of vegetation it would probably be worth the thirty dollars to save you time and headaches. Good luck.
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using a Jens-su blade on my motor guide for about two years and have no problem with weeds. I fish Guntersville a lot and you need all the help you can get. This is what the Jens-Su blade looks like. http://www.fishing25.com/shop.cart?a...rod_id=jens-su Later<>< <>< <>< <>< Jack

Post Thanks / Like

im running a minn-kota trolling motor with factory blade. ive been looking at a hydrilla blade for it the blade looks serated. has anybody used one of these? i would like to hear the good or bad..